American Blue Geese hatched this weekend!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Cara, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    These two cuties hatched over the weekend from vicki2x2's eggs. The darker one was quite the miracle, it was having a hard time and didn't make much progress. I helped him gradually throughout the day yesterday. Last night he tried to push out the shell, and his yolk wasn't absorbed at all [​IMG] I put him in the corner of the incubator to make it harder for him to push all the way out of the shell, said a few prayers and went to bed. I was convinced he'd be dead this morning, i've never had a bird make it with an unabsorbed yolk. I couldn't believe my eyes this morning, he'd hatched and his belly is almost completely healed. He just has a little belly button, so I put some Neosporin on it to help prevent infections.

The other one should be interesting to watch feather out. I thought it had something stuck in its mouth until I realised it has a black tongue! It's the loud one of the two! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're a pair since they look so different.

Sorry the pictures aren't great, they would not keep still!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    Those 2 are so cute. [​IMG] As for their gender, I have no clue. If you go by their beak colors then I would say yes you have a pair. But beak coloring probably don't hold true on all breeds of geese. I've never had geese before and won't get mine for while yet.

3. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    Very pretty! [​IMG]

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Aaaawwww.... so cute [​IMG]

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Is this a rare breed? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure that they are both american blues? The darker one looks like a Toulouse gosling.

They are cute though.

7. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I think they're a 'new' colour American goose.

The lady I got them from doesn't raise Toulouses.

8. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That is awesome Cara! I have 6 lavender/blue eggs in the bator right now - at least 2 that I know of are developing. I have 4 more coming this week, so I am hoping to get at least 4 of them to hatch. Maybe you have a blue and a lavender?

9. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    We're not too sure how exactly the lighter one will turn out. I'm not all that sure i'd be able to tell the difference [​IMG]

10. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Where can we see pics of the blue geese and where might one find eggs? Thanks.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by