American Buffs and Runner Ducks - 2 Week pic update!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyBoys, Apr 22, 2008.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, they were 2 weeks yesterday and growing fast. I had to put them in the "panic room" brooder down in the basement because they were stinkin' up the dining room real bad! :eek:

They love it though and that new brooder room is about the same size as the baby pen out in the barn. It's really not warm enough to put them out there though, must wait for "real" spring to arrive, and of course, feathers help.

Anyway, enjoy - there is a video of all 4 gooses splashing around in a cake pan. For a size reference that is a normal 9x12 cake pan and they make it look super small! They were originally trying to "swim" in the baking dish I had under the waterers - so I felt sorry for them and gave them a "pond". Lucky for me - They're easily impressed. [​IMG]

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzq9kCH2C0

Here
    they are! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The first pic is them at 3 days old - soooooooo small!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Aw. Very cute!

I'm so excited to start getting ducklings and goslings!

3. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Very cute! Mine are about to move to new larger housing as well. The ducks and geese are separate right now due to space issues, I can say the ducks are MUCH messier than the geese. Hurry and warm up weather! I want to let them spend the warm afternoons outside.
    That bath video is cute! I just moved mine up to the plastic storage container from the 9x13 pan since by the time the geese sat in it, they could hardly find any unoccupied water to dabble in. They bathe while the housekeeper comes to clean and stir the shavings and change the food/water, lucky duckies! [​IMG]

4. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Oh they are so fun aren't they! I have more coming next week and my Holderread's order will arrive eventually - on top of that I have adult Mandarins on the way as well.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Very cute indeed! I think we have the same meatloaf tray.

6. nicks chicks 1

nicks chicks 1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    missouri
    Thay are so darling!! love the all black one although they are all so cute [​IMG]

7. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    They are so cute. You are so lucky. Also the mandarins.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  8. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Oh they are so fun aren't they! I have more coming next week and my Holderread's order will arrive eventually - on top of that I have adult Mandarins on the way as well.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I have mandarins. They are such beautiful birds. Were are you getting yours from?
    I got mine from Squaw Creek Farm.

9. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    What colors are the runner ducks going to be? I have some fawn and white and some black on order from Ideal, and was thinking that if that goes well, I might get some chocolate and blue from McMurray later this summer.

10. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:I ordered them from Stromberg's but I forgot to ask who they use for their breeder - they don't raise them I'm pretty sure. They might not even come until fall - I have no idea actually. All they said was the breeder will call you.

Funny that this post was here because I just came downstairs to ask a question about mandarin pen landscaping - so you guys are in for it!! [​IMG]

I have one small shrub of some kind in the ouside area they will be in but I am going to put in some fast growing poplars and some very small CO Blue Spruce as well as some tall grasses - so here's the question - can I put bark mulch around the landscaping plants to make it look nicer? Or will it hurt their feet? The thought of hauling gravel out to our place isn't appealing so a yes would be appreciated if at all possible! [​IMG]

I am very excited about these guys and really want their pen to be more eye candy than the ducks and geese on the other side of the barn.

Any help in the design would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by