American Bulldog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cissy48, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Cissy48

Cissy48 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Southeastern Mass
    Has anyone used Am Bulldogs as Flock Guardians? My "Lilly" has a natural inclination to fuss over my flock of mixed chickens. When I'm bringing them in she tries to help. I think she actually counts them.....

2. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    from my reserch ambulldogs were origionally bred to be all around farm/ranch dogs.

i dont think id ever use them as a LGD because they bond so strongly with their people i think isolating them to bond with the flock would be detrimental to their mental well being, there also not exactly built (coat wise) for a life outdoors...i know the lighter ambulls are realy prone to sunburn lol.

but helping out around the farm is exactly why american bulldogs are on my list of top dogs for the future, i want a large dog to help around the farm, pull a light cart, help heard the guinneas ect...

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Well the last american bulldog I saw on a farm was hanging off the neck/shoulder of a quarter horse mare. It took a fence post to get her off. I personaly wouldn't recommend it. Just my experience. Best of luck in finding the right dog.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    A friend of mine had an American Bulldog and he ate all her chickens. Just gobbled them up feathers and all.

5. ksj0225

ksj0225 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    We take our two out there with our animals... goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits, guineas. They don't bother anybody, but they don't prefer to stay out there. They don't seem to want to stay with the flock they want to come back to the house and the family. Our great pyreness is our LGD.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We had an Am. Bull, but she wanted to eat our goats so we had to rehome her. She now lives with friends of ours and gets along very happily with their chickens, they don't have any problems with her around the chickens. I imagine it's something that goes on a dog-by-dog basis, some will be fine and others will just see snacks.

7. Longhorns&Chickens

Longhorns&Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    I have had American Bulldogs for a lot of years now, and they have been fine with the livestock. I will say that our male is from hog catching lines and if he thought you were in danger with the cattle he would back them down, but he never injured them, and as for the horses he used to play with my stud horse. He would also catch stray dogs, he wouldn't hurt them, just scare the crap out of them. The chickens have been added later in our dogs lives but we have no trouble with them. Maggie my 7 year old female will work cattle like a healer, will run off strays, but will leave any thing she knows belongs alone. She know our cats from the neighbors cats. the only she has ever caught are varmints, opposums, woodchucks and occasionally mice. I love bulldogs, but you must do your homework, I had a male that came to me at 5 monthes old, and he had some issues!! He was super smart, but little things would freak him out. He didn't last long here and had to be euthinized. It was heart breaking, but I don't think he was typical for the breed. These dogs are stubborn, but very smart and required consistancy, which is a must for any breed. Do your homework, make sure you can handle a big, strong willed animal, and definitely find a good breeder that will help you along the way! And honestly I prefer my females, but if you do the spay/nueter route, the gender won't matter, and they make a lot better pet. I know several reputable breeders in MI, but you can call the United Kennel Club and they will help you out, and the people there are really nice.

8. Cissy48

Cissy48 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Southeastern Mass
    Thank you all for replies. My Lilly will be ten this Winter Solstice. She is great with all animals and people. I just got chicks this summer (first time since 1978). I socialized her with them when they were in the house. I put their fuzzy little butts in her face. Seems to have worked. They have a very good, albeit odd, relationship. I am aware of their history. Thanks for mentioning that here.
    She does prefer to be in the house. But her ears are always on. She runs out at the slightest noise and checks them. It's beautiful to watch.
    I have Brahmas, Andalusians, EE. They were born July 11th. Got a way to go before Lilly and I get our eggs. I will eat four of the Brahmas.

Thank you again......I like it here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by