1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

American Fantail Feather trimming

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by kajhurley, Oct 29, 2011.

1. kajhurley

kajhurley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    I just recently was given some pigeons and have read that you have to trim the feathers around their vent for them to mate. Does anyone have any information on this?? Anything is better than what i know. I have raised quail and chickens, but know nothing about pigeons. Thanks....

2. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    No, It helps with fertility.

3. kajhurley

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Could you explain how to trim them. They are molting right now and are not mating. But i would like to know if you have to trim their feathers for fertility or you can just let them mate as is.

Thanks....

4. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    the triming of the bottom on each side about 6 feathers about 1 inch or less bigger tailed birds need more triming of more tail also the loose fluffy feathers around the vent there are some shows comeing up in different parts of texas if you are interested in showing

5. kajhurley

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    Where do you find info on shows in north east texas?

6. larrylofts

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    the texas pigeon assn. has a show in bonham end of november go to there site tpa.org

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Check some shows out before you enter them....the tails are laced ,each tail feather lay flat with each other.

After the first of the year......trim the tails, just cut the feather straight up the sides...leaving a tail about wide as a normal pigeon like a homer.

Those look like good birds ....birds should stand on their toes...head set back so far it set at base of the trail.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. larrylofts

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    go to the npausa.com it has links to different breed clubs the central , western and the eastern fantail clubs are on there there is a good fantail breeder in powderly tx which is close to paris tx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by