American from Switzerland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PlatinumEggs, Apr 18, 2017.

1. PlatinumEggs

PlatinumEggs Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2017
    Hi, quick rundown cuz I'd like to share my experiences:
    -Wanted hens for egg laying
    -First batch was threesome and was stupid enough to fall in love with each individual personality. (Just like all our other pets.)
    -contrary to what people told us, they laid eggs pretty much thru all of winter too.
    -end of third year, medical problems began, and here are photos of their poop. Couldn't find any identifying info online as to what was happening.
    --Major traumatic experience since vet (I'm in Geneva --not in farm country) laughed head off when I asked to have them put to sleep. Others said just twist their necks. Still feel sick remembering. Anyway, they died on their own.
    --Now have 2 new ones which we keep "disconnected" from our emotions and we're planning to get new ones each year and give old ones to a farm nearby.
    Here are photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also wanted to mention we had several periods when they laid eggs like these (even though they were hard):
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, that's all folks!!!
    Cheers Sissi

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If they were one of the high production layers, they tend to have "female," problems and succumb to them.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Sissi [​IMG] Welcome!

My flock are pets and each girl is very much loved. When required, I take my chickens to the Vet and they put them to sleep for me. I too could not kill my pets and I am sorry that you were laughed at.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by