American Game Fowl - How to Sex?

Enchanted1s

Songster
Sep 25, 2017
New Mexico
Hi all - just wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to determine the sex of Game Fowl when they are young? We have 3 babies from the Game Hens. Two of them look almost identical. The third is a lighter & brighter color head without the stripe down the middle like the other two. I was guessing that the different one is probable a different sex? Guidance appreciated.

What you're talking about is sex linking, which is very unlikely in games. If you know what color the parents are it may be possible to sex them by the color of the breast feathers by 4 or 5 weeks, but that is only certain color varieties. Otherwise you'll have to look for the normal signs like comb, wattles, thickness of legs and later, feathering.

No, what I am talking about is these babies - one does not have a stripe on the top of the head - the other two (from same hen) do. I thought perhaps this indicated a boy? Wishful thinking I suppose, that it would be that easy to tell.

I was finally able to get the broody momma away long enough to get a couple of pictures. They hatched on March 13 & 14.

The mother and father.
Rosie.Rudy.16Feb18.CU.jpg
Babies WITH the stripe
7April18.Stripe.jpg 7April18.jpg
Baby with NO stripe on head.
7April18.NoStripe.jpg

Hi, I was just wondering if you ever found a way to determine the sex of that breed, if so please do reply. thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom