American game or old english game?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by funonahonda, Dec 5, 2010.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I am looking for some good chickens to get that go broody and be good mothers, Other people on here wer talking about either american game or old english game that are good for that but I can' remember which and if they were talking about bantams or regular size, can anyone help? Thanks

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    "regular" sized American Gamefowl are the broody super-moms. [​IMG] "regular" sized Old English are usually rare though, and bantams are often from hatcheries, making them less broody and not gamey in behavior at all.

3. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    is there a good breed of bantam that goes broody and are good mothers?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cochins and Silkies are good broodies and generally good mothers. Silkies are naturally bantams, and Cochins come in bantam size. They're both very common and popular.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    American or Old English game, LF or bantam, are very broody birds and excellent mothers to boot. My bantam cochins are more broody than my silkies, but they are kinda dumb too, always running off and losing their chicks. My silkies are good mothers when they can get anything to hatch, they'd be better if I gave them some day-old chicks instead of letting them hatch eggs themselves.

So my vote is for american or old english game. The only thing different is size, you can fit 12-15 LF eggs under a LF game hen, or 10-12 bantam eggs/6-7 LF eggs under a bantam hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by