American Livestock Breeds Conservancy defines Heritage Chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Any ALBC members have already seen this but I wanted to share it with all the BYC's that aren't.

http://albc-usa.org/heritagechicken/index.html

They have listed a defination of what a heritage chicken is, the conservation priority list, and a short list of breeders and contact info.

Steve in NC

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
  3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:Nobody said they were, but the Conservancy has gone a long way in the last 30 years to preserving quite a few heritage breeds that may not be around right now. I for one think they are worth saving.

Steve in NC

4. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:I never disputed the concervancy's mission. [​IMG] Just it's definition. In fact the ALBC is mentioned in the thread I posted.

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I would hazzard to guess that most of the birds available at the large hatcheries have little resemblance to the original chickens that existed even 50 years ago. Compare them to their original standard of perfection for showing. They are the poor stepchild but in name only. The dual purpose heritage breeds have been selected more for the backyard egg production rather than dual purpose or another breed has been snuck in to increase egg broduction as they simply can't compete with the specialized commercial crossbred egg producer strains or the meat producer strains of production birds of today.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:That is true, if you read the history of some of the breeds it's amazing they survived at all. When people turned to the quick growing breeds alot almost died out. They have made a pretty amazing comeback.

Steve

7. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:That is true, if you read the history of some of the breeds it's amazing they survived at all. When people turned to the quick growing breeds alot almost died out. They have made a pretty amazing comeback.

Steve

So, what does an individual who would like to have a true dual purpose bird do? I'd love to have an old Delaware or New Hampshire (just to name a couple) that could produce a good size meat bird as well as provide eggs (and offspring for sustainability).

My impression is that to get a good dual purpose bird will require selective breeding for a few generations. It's probably not that easy or there would be more talk of it. Has anyone made the effort or know of someone who has? Offer any insight or suggestions?

Tim

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  8. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:The ALBC did bring back the Buckeye and they have a various resources available for free download on their website detailing what steps they took in reinvigorating the breed. I recomend you research the breed you wish to bring back, taking note of what breeds were used to create it. Any of those can be used as a way of reinvigorating existing lines. It takes many years of dedication and very selective breeding and culling. Also, keep very good breeding records!

9. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I have browsed around ALBC a bit, but mostly reading about breeds, I'll take a closer look.

I'd also love to hear from anyone who has tried something like this.

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

On the link I posted there is a short list of breeders and what they have to offer. The ALBC did it as a test to see how it works out, there is a much larger list of members and what they have listed by breeds and state by state.

If you get heritage breeds from a hatchery that is what you get, hatchery birds and they take alot of work. There are quite a few ALBC members that have had the birds for many years.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by