American Longtails

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TommyVT05, Feb 21, 2008.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hello All,

I have been away in this part of the forum for a little while because I got sick a week ago and it was AWFUL! It started before Valentines day and I didn't get to do much...tsk tsk...lol.

Anyhow! Do any of you have the "fancy" for longtails or no? My main project in my flock is to get longtails on all of my birds...no matter what breed. I have pictures of all of them on my webpage (down below).

I right now am starting something called "Project American Ongadori"...birds with a high percentage of the longtails from the Onagadori but are bred here in America for longer life and strength in enduring strict weather changes.

I will need some of your helps...such as experiences with longtails like Summatra, Ohiki, pretty much Longtail chickens.

Hope to hear from all!!!

- Tommy

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    That's cool. I was sort of going for cuckoo and crele if possible, in longtails and also naked neck or black skin(as in silkie black skin). But had to reduce the flock and several of them were jumping the fence into the neighbor's daily so those have been sold off mostly now.. have just 4 or 5 longtails at this point.. not sure if I'll be keeping them either though as I want to work with naked necks(not long tail).

Glad you are getting better and I was in San Diego 2 weeks ago, had a blast!

3. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hey, no way...you were in San Diego 2 weeks ago? [​IMG]

If I know you sooner, you could bring me the longtails 2 weeks ago. Haha. What kind of longtails do you have by the way and you are selling them or giving them away? I am sure I can put them to good use here with the longtails project. Hehe

Well, keep me posted (Hope you have pictures of your longtails)

- Tommy

4. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes too bad, I would have brought them over for you. PM me with whereabouts you are in SD.. I may be going to Escondido and San Marcos soon.

Right now there are:

one cuckoo hen, she has a rosecomb.
    one birchin cuckoo rooster from a cross of a longtail over a cuckoo OEGB hen.
    one birchin rooster, he MAY have Fm(silkie black skin) as he has black comb, face and wattles.. he is free range, and have not caught him to see if the skin is black all over or not.
    one white hen.
    one white naked neck hen, cannot remember if she is a cross or 3/4 longtail.. she also has the gene for black skin but this does not show up strongly on her.
    one rooster, at first glance he looks "red pyle" however most of his sickles are black, and has occasional blue spot AND has produced blue and black babies, which is really confusing me- obviously he is blue but not a splash, perhaps he is dominant white with one blue gene.

either 4 or 5 chicks(about two months old?) from the cuckoo hen and "red pyle" rooster, one appears to be BBRed, one or two blacks, 2 white, one solid blue. This is a sex linked mating and it appears all of the colored chicks are hens- they're not barred. No idea on the white ones. They appear female-ish though..

A note, they are not 100% pure longtails, except for the white hen. the roosters molted last fall, the "red pyle" rooster doesn't have the best saddle for a longtail. So they are not even going to come close to beating the Cy birds lol.. I wasn't very concerned about that as I got them as broodies for peafowl eggs, but did sort of try to breed those with longest tails and with the "cool traits"(cuckoo, black skin and blue/green eggs) if possible. I would say they are good stock for introducing new traits into longtails such as the black skin and cuckoo- if you have BBReds you could easily make Creles with these birds- I was going to go that way if I got hands on a good BBRed rooster for the cuckoo hen. None of the hens lay blue or green eggs, doubt any of the roosters have it, although the birchin rooster did come from a line that did have some hens laying blue or green eggs.

I went out to take pictures.. and wouldn't you know it.. the battery ran out before I could get to the long tails lol.. was trying to take pics of the black skinned naked necks for Dipsy first..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  5. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Sounds very nice. Hope you get the pictures soon. Hehe.

6. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Hey, while waiting for batteries to recharge, found some pictures taken around 2 months ago. Don't have any of the other longtails yet.

The "red pyle" rooster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cuckoo hen:

[​IMG]

Chicks from the above rooster and cuckoo hen:

[​IMG]

7. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hey Kev,

So those pixtures are 2 months ago, I wonder how far along are the chicks in that picture now. From what I can see, there should be 2 longtails in there? The one with the stripes?

Well, I will be waiting for the rest soon then.

They all look great by the way.

Its pretty unique how the roo has white and black tails...thats awsome.

My goal is to have two REALLY long white main tailfeathers (6-7ft. long) on my roosters to stand out and just look...AMAZING with the rest of the blacktails on its body? HAHA

- Tommy

8. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Hey Tommy,

The first two pics are of same rooster. Yes he seems very unique.. kept him for that reason. Can't see too clearly in the picture, there are areas of blue on the tail also. Not sure what he is.. so I bred him to that hen, the chicks prove he has blue, but the black and bbred chicks prove he is not a splash.. agreed a true long tail in his color pattern would be awesome!! I have no idea what makes his tail white with the sickles black with a white-red body.

9. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Nice...how did the chicks turn out? Like their dad or a lil diff?

- Tommy

10. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Haven't got a close look at chicks, they are being kept well hidden by their mom. Two seem to be all white, one all black, one BBRed, one was I thought solid light blue but got a close look at her yesterday and she is showing white/cream striping on her neck.

Here's the birchen rooster with black skin:

[​IMG]

An upcoming long tail chick:

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist.. lol that's a young black shoulder spalding boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by