american or malaysian serama?

flockmarket

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
could someone please tell me if there is a difference between an american serama, and a malysian serama? theyre both pretty adorable, but im not sure if they have different color patterns, etc.
also, what color pattern would be the prettiest/cutest, i don't really like plain white chickens, but i love bright bold colors!
can someone tell me about theyre egglaying? i know they're bad layers, but what size is the egg, and how often would you say they lay? thanks!

All Serama in America, came from Malaysia 10 years ago. You will often hear those names used interchangeably.

I think the trend is going towards calling them "American" if they are being bred to to the standards set by the Serama Council of North America.

Seramas come in an endless array of colors and patterns. Their colors can change a bit too, as they get older, so if you want something specific, select an older bird, rather than a chick. Their eggs are quite small, and my pullets lay 2-3 per week when in "laying mode". Some seramas hens are very poor layers, if they lay at all. They are a pet/show breed, not a breakfast breed.
wink.png

Last edited:
Your top quality malaysian serama will be much more upright, or vertical, than your top american serama. You will see a few like that over here in the states, but go on youtube and google malaysian serama, check them out, and then check out all the pictures of seramas posted on here. You will get the idea. Some of the serama you find in the US have had old english bantam bred into them as well.

HI, it's a great question.
I just wanted to add about the laying.I have three pullets..7 months.and I get two to three eggs a day.
Wish I did not have so many LOL..boil them as treats for my great danes and blow them out for craft projects.
If you are thinking Serama.check out the American Serama thread.folks there will be happy to help you
big_smile.png

Quote:
i'm working on that posture... well... pretty soon anyways...

um... i heard that most of the birds brought over here weren't as amazing as most of malaysia's serama show birds... that would make sense, but it could be just a rumor some hater made up... but, i guess it's also to do with some breeders... looks like everyone is breeding them to look more and more like OEGB... big gigantic tails and round sickles... not pointing straight up, but instead at an angle...

i dunno... most of the birds i got are aight... but i'm hoping to correct all of this with selective breeding and hard work... and secret malaysian practices...

Quote:
Go to scnaonline.org and there you will find descriptions for both the American Serama and the Malaysian Serama as accepted by the Serama Council of North America and is used at table top judging.

HI, it's a great question.
I just wanted to add about the laying.I have three pullets..7 months.and I get two to three eggs a day.
Wish I did not have so many LOL..boil them as treats for my great danes and blow them out for craft projects.
If you are thinking Serama.check out the American Serama thread.folks there will be happy to help you
big_smile.png
Coukd you help advise me how to find the American serama chicken forum

Back
Top Bottom