American/Oriental Game Crosses??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gresh, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Okay, so during my time on BYC I've run across a few great-looking photos of American Gamefowl X Oriental Gamefowl and have been impressed with the results. I just wanted to know if there are more people on here who can upload pictures of these birds, and also experience you've had. I also have a few questions.

1. Are these crosses hard-feathered, soft-feathered, or a mix?

2. Are they game? (Yeah, I know: a dumb question. [​IMG])

3. Are they friendly towards people?

4. Are they good free-rangers?

Please upload any pics you have. I'd also like to know what happens when you cross a single-combed American Game with a pea-combed or walnut-combed Oriental Game. What comb winds up dominant in the offspring?

Thanks!

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:feathering may varry a bit based on line used and actual feather quality of that line(s). most shoud be relatively hard feathered though.

They are Game... to varying degrees based on line origins and selection practices.

based on line temperment they can be people friendly, broody hens likely not, so long they are not manfighters on either side you should be fine.

Most true game breeders continuously select for a good ability to free range, they should be very good at it.

Single comb is most recessive of comb forms and only appears when they have two copies of teh genes for teh single comb.

3. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:feathering may varry a bit based on line used and actual feather quality of that line(s). most shoud be relatively hard feathered though.

They are Game... to varying degrees based on line origins and selection practices.

based on line temperment they can be people friendly, broody hens likely not, so long they are not manfighters on either side you should be fine.

Most true game breeders continuously select for a good ability to free range, they should be very good at it.

Single comb is most recessive of comb forms and only appears when they have two copies of teh genes for teh single comb.

Thanks, I'll keep those things in mind [​IMG]

In the meantime, if you know anyone who has these crosses, I'd love to see their pics here on BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by