American Pekin duck

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PhoenixOfNyx, Nov 9, 2014.

1. PhoenixOfNyx

PhoenixOfNyx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    So I took this duck, Splish, in as a rescue. I've raised outside ducks before on a small farm , never inside. I was holding him and doing research on him when he started sneezing and had a running nose. It looks like water, but I'm not sure. I'm afraid he has a respiratory infection. I've only had him two days, and he swims just fine and eats all my bread (I haven't been able to get out to buy duck food yet) preens normally and poops just fine. I was going to take him to my aunt's but my husband decided he wanted to keep him. Any and all help will be appreciated thank you

2. PhoenixOfNyx

Nov 9, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Well it looks like I already messed this up.... Okay I'm Alexis, I'm 18 along with my Splish, I have two dogs,a German shepherd named Cagney and a pit named Nikko and two rescued kittens named Squeak and Braveheart who are brother and sister. My man's name is Ishmael, you'll hear me refer to him as my fiancee my husband or Ish. Again sorry for this mess up

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I don't think bread makes a good substitute for duck food. If you go to the "Other Backyard Poultry" forum above - you will see there are threads for Duck people, they should be able to answer your questions. I'm sorry I've never raised ducks. Hope they can help you out with Splish.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Alexis! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Definitely post on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks, and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with Splish.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome, glad you joined us. Hope you find the answer for Splish -- a great name selection.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope your duck recovers.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Hope your duck gets better![​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Alexis, welcome to BYC. As long as the exudate from your duck's nostrils is clear, the likelihood of an infectious entity is slight. Get a balanced duck ration as soon as is possible to assure good health.

10. PhoenixOfNyx

Nov 9, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Thank you, everyone :) he's doing much better now. He ate some grass that I pulled up and washed for him and he swam for about an hour and a half. Now I just need to figure out why he's clicking his bill at me lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by