1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

American soldiers, seeking refugee status in Canada

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MeatKing, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

So far we have 11, Americans who went AWOL, claiming refugee status. This status is generally for people from war torn countries.

The latest, says he will be "court martailed" sp? sorry
    So he wants our governent to grant him a refugee status, which has many perks. that we Canadians pay for.
    I'm trying to understand, why anyone would join the army, if they didn't want to go to war? So they took from the USA, all the perks that come with military status. Now want to come here and take from us.. Nobody forced them to join the military.

What happens if you get "court martialed?"
    What are your thoughts on this?

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Because they joined for the wrong reasons. THey joined because they couldnt find another job, they wanted the benefits,girl friend got pregnant and they had no insurance or housing.... there are plenty of reasons.

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

We had people go AWOL from boot camp. They realized they did not want to be there after a couple days.

And they weren't drafted.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

the paid college opportunity...

There are a lot of reasons to NOT want to go back to your post after a leave also. I could go into a very long list of things, and a lot of people would think... OMG, thats insane... and a lot of people would know exactly what I am talking about. So... will put it like this... When you join the military, you are infantry, unless you are lucky enough to get in as an officer right off, or executive... Well anyway, the typical soldier is a guinea pig. They go thinking one thing, they are going to come out and get a college degree, good job, get preferential treatment (Like guaranteed employment at your nearby Wal-Mart) only to again, be used as a guinea pig, see things that are atrocities, do things that are atrocities, your body is not your own... You join the military to defend your country, and sometimes the things that are required of you, are not in defence of your country...

My bro in law was in the Army, he suffered some serious injuries, has nightmares, thunderstorms cause him to have flash backs, and my sister has been accidently strangled, and body binded several times, AND he is now wanting to join the AirForce but in the executive compacity... He's dedicated to the military, believes very strongly in them.

My best friends kid was also in the Army. He served 3 tours in the mid-east. Came back and went out of his way to get drummed. He got a less than honorable discharge, and he was just happy to get out. Every experience is different, some can handle it more than others. But when you sign on for 4 years, you can't just quit like you can at another job. You have to serve that. If 2-3 years into it, you can't take it no more, it doesn't matter... You're stuck. Some kids think they can handle it and find out they can't....

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

This may give some insight...
    When talking to the military I know, in normal conversation, the word "recruiter" is almost always followed by the words "the lying [fowl word] that they are"

So expectations an reality are not the same.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  6. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

So it's not unthinkable to see some would flee?
    What does court martial mean? Jail time? how much? Where, a miltary jail
    just trying to understand from thier pov

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Court martial is a term for a trial in the military. Jail time but don't know how much. Yes military jail.

Looked it up.

Quote:

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Just a heads up, my husband was a recruiter.

9. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Some people only hear what they want to hear. Now a recruiter isn't going to highlight the stuff about KP duty or scrubbing toilets. Their salesmen they highlight the good and gloss over any bad parts. They don't all lie and with any large group you could run across one that lies.

10. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Every recruiter in every branch glorifies it or you would have no recruits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by