American Standard of Perfection location

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Obsessive, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Obsessive

Obsessive Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    Does anyone know if and where there is a free copy of the American Standard of Perfection to download? If not what kind of stores would carry it? I believe the APA website has it but it is kinda pricey. [​IMG] Around 50 bucks I think! [​IMG]

2. Obsessive

Obsessive Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    While I'm at it, does anyone know about the bantam version (ABA)? [​IMG]

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The black and white version is only $14. I have it and I can get all the info I need from it.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    While I don't know how much information you actually need? One can go to the public library and look, see, and copy what they need. Just a thought.

bigzio

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I went to our library to borrow a copy and they didn't have. it. The Librarian got on the computer to see if she could get me a copy. There were only two listed and they were both antiques. She said it would be impossible to get a copy as there were only three here in the states. I have been looking for a copy as well. Even Amazon.com wants 57.00

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well I got one old book on Ebay in case you are interested for 40 dollars, so far no one has bid on it.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep Try Abe books, they got alot of good sources of books in there! [​IMG]

8. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection 1910 edition.

Click the book to turn the pages. Lots of great info and pics.

http://www.archive.org/stream/americ...dard00ameriala

You can download the book to your hard drive from here: http://www.archive.org/details/ameri...dard00ameriala

There
    are TONS of great poultry books at that site. Go here: http://www.archive.org/details/texts and put in search terms for things like chickens, poultry, and so on to find many informative and historical books, some of them more than 150 years old. Many of them you can browse online by clicking the link on the left side of the page that says Flip Book, and you can also download them.

There are books about general care, history, diseases, breeds, genetics, hatching, and all sorts of other subjects. There are also some childrens storybooks about chickens.

Some of those old books have incredibly useful information.

Pulled the above from a different poultry forum. Maybe it can be of some help to you? I don't know how much standards change over the years... but maybe it's a starting point....

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What a fabulous website!! Thanks for posting it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by