1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AMERICANA , AMERAUCANA, and ARAUCANA

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by equinelyn, Jun 7, 2011.

1. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    So I hear a lot of people on here calling their AMERAUCANA's Easter egger's. So this is the information I have found about all three.

The AMERICANA is an EASTER EGGER, as people like to call them are actually a mish-mash of mixed breeds, with definitely some of the lethal gene of the Araucana or Ameraucana mixed in. This is what causes them to lay eggs of several different colors. The eggs can be anywhere from light tan, dark tan, blue, pinkish or even a pale yellow.

The AMERAUCANA
    ~Has Ear Muffs
    ~Blue Shanks (legs)
    ~Red Ear Lobes
    ~Beautiful Tail
    ~Lays Blue Eggs only
    ~Comes in 8 different varieties (colors) recognized by the APA and the ABA.
    ~They can be large fowl or bantams.

The ARAUCANA
    ~Has Ear Tufts
    ~No Definitive Tail
    ~Lays Blue Eggs only
    ~Comes in 5 different varieties (colors) recognized by the APA and 6 different varieties recognized by the ABA.
    ~They can be large fowl or bantams.

Here is the website where I found my information
    http://apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Easter Eggers vs.pdf

Comments?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    the technical term for the legs is slate because they can range from a very sky blue to black.

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Um.... Easter Egger is the term used for a mixed breed bird that carries the blue egg gene. It may have some Ameraucana or Araucana blood. The "Ameraucanas" and "Araucanas" sold by hatcheries are EEs. They don't necessarily carry the tailless ("lethal") gene from the Araucana.

"Americana" is a mis-spelling of Ameraucana. Its use shows the user doesn't know what they have! (Or possibly is just a bad speller!)
    Hope this helps!

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    My only comment is that Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas have no lethal gene. The lethal gene is only for the tufts which is lethal in two copies. Only the Araucana has tufts. The Ameraucana is a white skinned bird, the Araucana is a yellow skinned bird.

The lethal gene is not what causes blue eggs.

This is a trio of my Large Fowl Araucana
    [​IMG]

Lanae

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    The lethal gene has nothing to do with the lack of tail. It is the other end of the araucana that the lethal gene is attached to. Their tufts on their face. Refer to my above photo and the feathers sticking out of my roos face.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by