Americana, Aracuana, or EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by missred871, May 19, 2010.

1. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    These were purchased as chicks from a BREEDER. They were advertised as Aracaunas. Since it is so difficult to differ the breeds I want to know which these lovely boys and girls are. I know if I had bought them from a hatchery they would definately be EEs but seeing as how I bought them from a breeder I have my hopes up. I suppose as long as I get purdy eggs in the end I will be happy!

The True Blood Crew is:
    Sookie, Northman, LongShadow, Chow, Amelia, Arlene, and Alcide

[​IMG]
    above: Alcide
    [​IMG]
    above: left-amelia right-sookie
    background: longshadow and chow

let me know if these arent good enough

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Easter eggers; sorry.

This is an araucana. Notice the difference in the shape of the head, not to mention tufts, not muffs. Your birds are all tailed, although it is not uncommon to find breeder or pet quality araucanas with tails.
    [​IMG]

It really is not difficult to tell the difference between the three.

- Araucanas do not have muffs/beard; they do have tufts; leg colour depends on variety: yellow, willow or black. They should be rumpless. Body type matches the standard.

- Ameraucanas have muffs and beard; they have tails. All varieties have slate legs. Body type matches the standard. Variety matches the standard.

- Easter Eggers have no standard; they have not been bred for one.

3. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    I know nothing about those breeds, but I just wanted to comment that I love the names! Especially "Northman" [​IMG] lol Sorry, True Blood fan here! Pretty Chickies!

4. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    thanks for the pic I have tried to bing the topic to no avail. sorry to hear I was duped oh well as long as I get pretty eggs. Thanks for the comment about the names as well. Northman is my favorite roo there fore he got the best name! LOL

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Very pretty EE's.

6. Melissa034

Melissa034 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    Quote:Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. That was total confirmation to me. THANK YOU

7. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Thanks I think they are purdy too. I lucked out since some EEs can be kinda iffy in the looks department. I am defnately keeping Northman and might keep Longshadow if he can behave so I can get more purdy ones later....LOL Alcide(the blacker one) isnt very attractive due to his mottled coloring so he will probably be the first gone, Chow and Longshadow are relatively the same colors so behavior will determine who stays and who goes....

8. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Another thing about EEs is they don't breed true to color. In other words a breeding will continue to throw all types of colors because of the many different color genes in them to start with from crossing so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by