Americana chick w broken leg :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dolphinlvr4, Feb 22, 2013.

1. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I went to the feed store for more chicken stuff and the owner said he had a 3 wk old Easter egger that had a broken leg but she's healthy n eating well. Her leg is broken on the high joint n is now I think a bit fused that way. She uses her wing to balance herself n is quite spunky. He had her separated from his other chicks for her safety. So long story short he wanted me to have her ( he knows we just want the eggs) n of course being an animal lover I took her. Plus I wanted that breed but around here they go fast. Anyway, my plan is to use that brown stretchy medical tape to try to brace her leg n maybe straighten it a bit. Any other suggestions? I'd really love to give her a good quality of life

2. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    It may not be broken. It is possible she has a slipped tendon. There is advice on BYC on how to fix a slipped tendon, but the success rate really depends if it is caught early

3. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Ok. I'm gonna try to splint it for now n then look up on BYC. Ty!

4. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    . I've looked all thru the BYC website (using just my iPhone)n I can't find anything other than the forum for injuries. The joint looks swollen n she won't use it so since she's only three weeks I'm really hoping I can stretch it a lil n tape it w that brown medical tape that only sticks to itself. I think it will work to some degree but I'm sure she'll waddle a bit or limp as an adult. But she eats n drinks n poops regularly so she seems healthy. It's worth a shot

5. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    Here is a link to the search page results. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ne...on&resultSortingPreference=relevance&type=all

A vet showed me how to do it once, but I was unsuccessful and I am not sure I could explain the process well. I hope you are able to find a good description on BYC or perhaps even youtube.

Unfortunately, if it is not caught early the prognosis is not good. I have heard of birds living with slipped tendons. I don't know if the birds are uncomfortable or not, that would be my main concern in letting it live like this if you are unable to repair it.

Good Luck

6. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Upon closer inspection I saw her other leg is turned in and is bent so she scoots around on it n it's calloused so I did tape it a lil for her comfort. Her other broken leg is taped n she seems too feel better but if she lives n adapts she'll always have 2 deformed legs. I'm gonna give her a few weeks cuz she's quite the spunky lil fighter. I'm not gonna give until she does. Other than that she's healthy but if she makes it to adulthood I'll have to keep her separate from the flock for her safety n that makes me sad:-(.

7. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    If there's no marked improvement in a few weeks as she grows I'll euthanize her at the vet, I don't believe in her living a poor quality of life. Wish me n " tiny" luck! :)

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by