Americana chicks

fourhupp

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
I have six Americana chicks about 2 weeks old.Five are fine but 1 has no feathers around its neck,Is this normal,Will feathers ever grow??????

Mahonri

Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
My Coop
Sounds to me like you have five Easter Eggers and 1 Naked Neck.. *yes, it is a breed* ... or perhaps a Showgirl!

Last edited:

fourhupp

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
Your right I have a naked neck,,I just looked at the pictures in breeds,Thank you,,,I have alot to learn,I am very new to all of this

Pequena Bandada

Small Flock
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Fourhupp - also as information, there's no breed named "Americana". That's a common misspelling for a breed that's actually named "Ameraucana". If you bought your chickens from a hatchery, then you probably don't have true Ameraucanas, you probably have Easter Eggers (similar to, but not the Ameraucana breed). I have Easter Eggers too; they're great chickens!

Pelican49

Songster
11 Years
Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Quote:
I just got a shipment from Welp last week and one of my chosen breeds were advertised as Ameraucanas (don't they lay blue eggs?). Anyway, I figured I'd buy some EEs in a couple weeks because I really wanted them too. When the shipment came it said ...

3 Ameraucana (green egg). Ummm? Easter Eggers? I'm just asking because I'm new at this.

coturnix2044

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
Lake Mary
Yup, Hatchery "Americanas" or Araucanas are EE's, they still lay blue-ish eggs, but aren't recognized By the A.P.A. as a breed or a bird of either Ameraucana or Araucana.
I have 2 EE hens and they have to be the most comical and personable chickens I have at the moment, They run across the yard to greet me whenever I come outback and beg for treats, My friends and family think it's hilarious. Even though not pure, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Tyler

Last edited:

Top Bottom