Americana chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fourhupp, Oct 19, 2010.

1. fourhupp

fourhupp New Egg

Oct 19, 2010
    I have six Americana chicks about 2 weeks old.Five are fine but 1 has no feathers around its neck,Is this normal,Will feathers ever grow??????

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds to me like you have five Easter Eggers and 1 Naked Neck.. *yes, it is a breed* ... or perhaps a Showgirl!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  3. fourhupp

fourhupp New Egg

Oct 19, 2010
    Your right I have a naked neck,,I just looked at the pictures in breeds,Thank you,,,I have alot to learn,I am very new to all of this

4. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Fourhupp - also as information, there's no breed named "Americana". That's a common misspelling for a breed that's actually named "Ameraucana". If you bought your chickens from a hatchery, then you probably don't have true Ameraucanas, you probably have Easter Eggers (similar to, but not the Ameraucana breed). I have Easter Eggers too; they're great chickens!

5. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I just got a shipment from Welp last week and one of my chosen breeds were advertised as Ameraucanas (don't they lay blue eggs?). Anyway, I figured I'd buy some EEs in a couple weeks because I really wanted them too. When the shipment came it said ...

3 Ameraucana (green egg). Ummm? Easter Eggers? I'm just asking because I'm new at this.

6. coturnix2044

coturnix2044 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    Lake Mary
    Yup, Hatchery "Americanas" or Araucanas are EE's, they still lay blue-ish eggs, but aren't recognized By the A.P.A. as a breed or a bird of either Ameraucana or Araucana.
    I have 2 EE hens and they have to be the most comical and personable chickens I have at the moment, They run across the yard to greet me whenever I come outback and beg for treats, My friends and family think it's hilarious. Even though not pure, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Tyler

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by