Americana coloring?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ilovemyduckies, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    So, on Wednesday, I got two chicks and two ducklings. As soon as I came home with my chicks, my sister decided that she needed one too. It is an Americana. I was wondering what the coloring would be as an adult? Any pics? Here she is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas? Thx

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    were did u get it? looks like an ee chick

3. Ilovemyduckies

Feb 21, 2012
    I got it from our local IFA. I was just reading about how breeders will mistake americanas for EEs. If it is an EE, do you know what the coloring might be?

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i have seen a lot of ee chicks start out that color you will probley get a better idea of its color if you wait till its fully feathered.

5. RunnerDucks

RunnerDucks Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I have an EE chick that looked the same when I first brought her home. She's still not fully grown of course, but here is what she looks like now:
    [​IMG]

6. Ilovemyduckies

Feb 21, 2012
    Okay, then she is an EE and not an americana? Okay, I guess I'l figure her coloring out eventually :D RunnerDucks your chick really pretty, it will be cool if she gets that coloring :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. Ilovemyduckies

Feb 21, 2012
    I just told my sister that she is probably an Easter Egger. I told her that Easter Eggers could lay several different colors of eggs, and now she wants it to lay pink eggs. I told her they are pinkish. Now it's kinda exiting to see what color of eggs she lays when she gets older. I'm shooting for blue :D I just REALLY hope she doesn't lay brown eggs, I've got enough brown egg layers already.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The lighting is kind of blocking the colors in the first pic. Is it's legs green, or dark slate? Yellow or green legs will tell you right off the bat that you're not in possession of an Ameraucana.

Most likely your chick will end up being Gold Duckwing in coloration. A grown bird looks like this:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/EEP.JPEG

This is not my picture nor am I making profit from it.

9. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Your biggest indicator is that Ameraucana breeders know how to spell their breed's name [​IMG]

10. Ilovemyduckies

Feb 21, 2012
    It's more dark slate. Thx :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by