AMERICANA--help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jennings Gamefowl, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    got an amreicanca bantams. one black hen and one muff roo... i think he is red and green but i dont know if he is a true americanca roo... sorry cant get pics now but will try. anyone has a roo like this... and if they will go broody

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009
  2. Jennings Gamefowl

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    anyone??

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Where did you get them? If they came from a hatchery, they are Easter Eggers rather than Ameraucanas, but a picture would sure help us help you. [​IMG]

4. Jennings Gamefowl

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    i got them from a breeder who had them in a mating pen... they do have muffs.. will get pic 2morrow

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Muffs do not indicate Ameraucana or Easter Egger since they both have them, so we'll need a pic to be able to help you out.

6. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    just a quick correction, the Ameraucana club gets mad when they don't spell the breed right, its Ameraucana. Someone has a title that says "There's no "I" on Ameraucana"

7. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

What color legs do they have? If they have willow green legs I've been told they're EE not true ameraucana. I have 2 EE with the greenish legs and my true ameraucana has really pretty slate colored legs.

Sonja

8. Jennings Gamefowl

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    this is my hen its not a good pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is my roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is a americauna mix( sorry im not good at spelling please forgive me).. if i breed her to my roo will her babies throw out green eggs?

[​IMG]

9. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:If these are mixes/mutts you can't be sure, sort of like two people with brown eyes might have a child with blue eyes.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    That rooster has a very strange comb--anyone have an idea on it's genetic makeup?

Are any of your girls laying? Their egg colour is determined by the genes they carry, not those of the roo. If they carry the blue egg gene, they will pass it to at least 50% of their offspring (100% if they have two copies, only 50% if they have one copy). Likewise, they will pass on any brown egg genes (needed for green eggs) in similar ratios).

Pea comb is closely linked with the blue eggshell gene. So, if your girls have pea combs, chances are pretty good that they have the blue eggshell gene. If they do not have pea combs, chances are pretty high that they do not. Same with your roo, although his comb is strange enough I can't tell if it has pea comb in it or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by