Americana Hen Losing Feathers - Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newtoboulder, Nov 29, 2011.

1. newtoboulder

newtoboulder New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    Dear Friends,

One of our five hens is losing her feathers (near her backend). I'm pretty sure she can't reach around and it does not appear to be that any of the other four are pecking -- and there is no rooster! Her poop is fine, she is drinking/eating (as usual). She is the heaviest of the group - 1 or 2 pounds bigger. They are 30 weeks old; bedding is pine chips and they have a section of our barn (away from the goats). We clean the coop each day. Any assistance you can provide in diagnosing would be helpful. I have attached a few pictures. Also, the feathers look matted, as if they were wet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    This is the season for moulting / molting... are you seeing feathers all over the place in the coop? Some of my hens are moulting a lot, some are moulting a little. So, it varies. One lost half of her longest tail feathers and then some of the soft small under feathers (down?). Others have feathers on their necks coming back in. Some are growing new ones on their backs where the rooster damage is. Some on their heads. So, it varies from hen to hen, or chicken to chicken.
    I would guess that due to the time of year, it's molting.

Use the search here on BYC for moulting / molting (either spelling is acceptable and correct).

Take care.

3. newtoboulder

newtoboulder New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    this hen is the only one with the big patch of missing feathers. I have seen a few feathers laying around. I would have thought they molted at an older age -- they are only 30 weeks. Thanks though. As I read more, I'm wondering if it could be lice/mice possibly. Thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by