Americana Hen missing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmomma2, Dec 18, 2012.

1. chickenmomma2

chickenmomma2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    I have an Americana hen missing an area of feathers on her back about the size of a 50 cent piece. It's low on her back close to her tail feathers. She is not new to the coop. She arrived with 16 others back in May. Everyone has been getting along fine but I've noticed one of my Buffs (that she grew up with) has been aggressive toward her as well as others. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    If you have a rooster, it could be from him mating with your hens. When roosters mate they grab on to the hen and sometimes pull out a few feathers in the process.

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Even if you don't have a rooster, it is possible that one of your more agressive hens is mounting her, thus creating a bald spot in the area you indicate. That happened in my little flock. I eventually re-homed the agressive hen.

4. chickenmomma2

chickenmomma2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    Thanks. I was always told Buffs were "sweet". Well, this one hen isn't that sweet. I'll be keeping an eye on them. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by