1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Americana Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by indigo flats, Mar 7, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    What color is she and what type comb does she h[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hi,
    for future reference, the word is spelled "Ameraucana" (at least that is what I was told, lol)

The hens comb looks too young to know the type, all chickens start out with a comb like that. Can you please tell us what you mean by what colors? Thanks!

:thumbsup

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You have an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. And she has a pea comb.

4. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Yes! I forgot to say that. your hen is definetely an EE

5. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    She is a year old been laying since she was 5 months old blue eggs I get 6 eggs a week off her she laid right through the winter still going strong just wondering what her color or color pattern is called. When I got her as a day old chick they said Americana but I have always called her an Easter Egger. I am hatching out her eggs to get more that hopefully lay as good as her. I have five of her chicks 10 days old and 8 more eggs in the incubator. I will replace my Barnevelders and Welsummers with her chicks. I call her black and white but she is Black white and grey smudged in color. Just wondering if there is a name for her color pattern.

6. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Quote:Yes, I have received multiple chicks that they claimed were Ameraucana, but were EE. If your breeding, hte color of the eggs all depend on what rooster she mates with. :thumbsup

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She's a silver base color (sexlinked by the way) with wild-type partridge patterning. Not a specific name for it though. What rooster did you breed her with? It's possible that her chicks are sexable by coloring.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There's no specific name for her coloring, that's part of why she's an Easter egger and not an Ameraucana. Wild type silver is the best description.

9. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    I bred her to the rooster standing out side the pen.Color of eggs does not bother me I want her egg laying ability, she lays better than all my chickens including my black stars. Her chicks seem to be her color by looking at wing feathers they haven't completely feathered out yet. So then I could call her a Silver Partridge? I have 2 chicks I like that have 5 toes each and appears they will be her color, Hoping for a rooster her color.

10. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe

This.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by