americana-leghorn hybrid not lay at 24 week

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Little-kick, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Little-kick

Little-kick New Egg

Nov 29, 2007
    Northern California
    I have 3 pullets from male americana and female RIR, americana, and white leghorn, respectively. The RIR offspring laid first at 20 and half week, and the americana laid at 22 weeks old, but the americana-leghorn hybrid (Helen) has not laid yet. I thought she would be the first to lay if she inherits her mother's genes. Helen is in fact the first to show big red comb and wattles, she also squatted a few times. She is skittish, and always stay far away from me. I had the artificial light in the coop till 8pm, all other hens come out eat when I feed them but Helen always stant on the perch in the corner. I don't know if this behavior has anything to do with his not laying. I sometimes ask myself will she ever lay? And does she has any problems? These 3 pullets were hatched by me at the same day and raised the same way, moreover, she looks and acts very healthy and strong. She is very pretty with bright eyes, slate legs, white feather with black patchs. Her earlobe is red mixed with green and she has a big single comb. Could anyone please tell me what color eggs she would lay if she ever will.

Greatly appreciate it if someone can comment.

chickenadorer

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Chickens lay when it happens. 20-24 weeks is an average, not a guarantee. Leghorns are normally skittish. When she lays an egg it will be most likely a pale green egg or a pink tinted white.

3. Little-kick

Little-kick New Egg

Nov 29, 2007
    Northern California
    Thanks a lot for your reply. I guess she is testing my patience.

When I read other postings from some experts, it appears to me that the egg color is associated with pea comb of the americana sire. While my Americana-leghorn has a typical single comb, does it mean that I'm not going to get the green egg?

Thanks,

Henry

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    comb type and egg color are two seperate genes.

Brahmas-pea comb-brown eggs
    Cochins-single comb-brown eggs

Ameracana crosses egg color will vary-a lot of times it depends on how many times they've already been crossed with something else.

5. Little-kick

Little-kick New Egg

Nov 29, 2007
    Northern California
    Thanks! It'll be interesting to find out what color eggs she's going to lay. Can't waite! lol:

6. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

This might be a silly question, but are you absolutely sure they are girls? :)

7. Little-kick

Little-kick New Egg

Nov 29, 2007
    Northern California
    Yes, I'm sure she is a girl. Her bothers from the same hatch crowed at 10 weeks old. Althought she is the earliest to develop comb and wattle, but it didn't become significant until around 17 weeks. It's such a mystery. All other hens is active in the evening when I feed them in the lighted coop, she always stayed in a corner. But she still can see the lighted floor. So I guess it wasn't becuase the short days delayed her laying.

I wonder if a hen can purposely hold the eggs for many days. It seems against biology though. [​IMG]

Anyway, thinking this much tired my brain. I'll try to forget about it for a while. :eek:

Thnaks for asking,

Little-kick

8. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Heehee, OK. I've learned that a lot of the time, when there is a problem to be solved, folks often overlook the most obvious answer. So that's what I start with.

I'd say you either have a pullet that's going to lay late or a cockerel that's going to crow late! [​IMG]

9. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I have two ameraucana x leghorn cross hens. They both lay the same lightly tinted egg.

Donna

10. Little-kick

Little-kick New Egg

Nov 29, 2007
    Northern California
    Hi Donna,
    May I know what types of combs they have? Also what size eggs do they lay?

The reason I ask is because I heard that these Americana x leghorn hybrids lay at better rate than americana hens but the egg size may be a lot smaller. I also heard that if they have pea combs, most likely they will lay green or blue eggs ask determined by their dad's gene. Now I heard a different voice, I'm a little lost. From a genetics point of view, although comb and egg color are coded by different genes, it might be possible that the genes determining green egg color and pea combs are dominant and colocalized closely in the same chromosome. So that the girls either receive both or nothing. It's just my silly speculation.

My americana x RIR cross lays dark brown eggs and she got a big single comb. I heard these hybrids can also lay olive color eggs if they got pea combs.

Thanks in advance,

Little-kick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by