Americana not laying colored eggs......

sbluvinit

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
I have a six month old ameraciana and RIR they both started laying but the color of my eggs confuse me. I get a very dark brown color and a very light brown. Often times I will get a soft shelled egg.... not sure who is dropping this. Why does my americana not lay colored eggs, will she grow into it or is she a mixed breed?? anyone??????

can you show a pic of your bird?
where did you get them?
this info will help us help you
wink.png

Krista

OK SO I AM NOT MUCH OF A SPELLER here is a photo of my Amerucana ( however u spell it ) Hawk we will just call her by her name ok. here is Hawk what do you think?? I am looking for a pic of her eggs not sure if I have any.
9035_100_1519.jpg

She is not a ameraucana either she is an Easter egger which are great birds but are mixed breeds. I am sorry she does not lay colored eggs many EE's do not.

Henry

It's really not a spelling issue. The hatcheries sell birds they call Ameraucana, Americana, Araucana(which is actually another breed too), but truly they are what is called an easter egger. An EE is usually crossed at some point with an Ameraucana which gives you the bluish tint egg and the muffs. They really are just a mix. So the reason your bird is not laying a colored egg is because it is an EE and the genes behind it are really unknown
Krista

Last edited:
pipsand peeps.... You come off a little to "strong" there !!!! I include myself in this when I say "we" are not all great spellers.

sbluvinit You have a very pretty bird. Some of my EE's lay a green egg, some blue, and some a light pinkish brown . What ever color she lays you have a great bird.

Quote:
I never said anyone was a bad speller, you are reading in something that is not there.

Hatcheries misrepresent what they are selling, and in fact use the name "americana" with an "i" and there is no such breed. It is a fact and I was clearly just stating that.

Quote:
I don't think she came of strong she is just telling the truth that bird Is an EE and not an americana or ameraucana

Henry

Back
Top Bottom