Americana not laying colored eggs......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sbluvinit, Sep 2, 2008.

1. sbluvinit

sbluvinit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    I have a six month old ameraciana and RIR they both started laying but the color of my eggs confuse me. I get a very dark brown color and a very light brown. Often times I will get a soft shelled egg.... not sure who is dropping this. Why does my americana not lay colored eggs, will she grow into it or is she a mixed breed?? anyone??????

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    can you show a pic of your bird?
    where did you get them?
    this info will help us help you [​IMG]

Krista

3. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    Some lay what they call pink tinted eggs [​IMG]

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    There is no such breed as an amer"i"cana.

What you probably have is an easter egger and they are a mixed breed.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  5. sbluvinit

sbluvinit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    OK SO I AM NOT MUCH OF A SPELLER here is a photo of my Amerucana ( however u spell it ) Hawk we will just call her by her name ok. here is Hawk what do you think?? I am looking for a pic of her eggs not sure if I have any.
    [​IMG]

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    She is not a ameraucana either she is an Easter egger which are great birds but are mixed breeds. I am sorry she does not lay colored eggs many EE's do not.

Henry

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    It's really not a spelling issue. The hatcheries sell birds they call Ameraucana, Americana, Araucana(which is actually another breed too), but truly they are what is called an easter egger. An EE is usually crossed at some point with an Ameraucana which gives you the bluish tint egg and the muffs. They really are just a mix. So the reason your bird is not laying a colored egg is because it is an EE and the genes behind it are really unknown
    Krista

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  8. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    pipsand peeps.... You come off a little to "strong" there !!!! I include myself in this when I say "we" are not all great spellers.

sbluvinit You have a very pretty bird. Some of my EE's lay a green egg, some blue, and some a light pinkish brown . What ever color she lays you have a great bird.

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:I never said anyone was a bad speller, you are reading in something that is not there.

Hatcheries misrepresent what they are selling, and in fact use the name "americana" with an "i" and there is no such breed. It is a fact and I was clearly just stating that.

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I don't think she came of strong she is just telling the truth that bird Is an EE and not an americana or ameraucana

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by