Americana not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 76972clb, Sep 15, 2016.

1. 76972clb

76972clb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    East Texas
    I have an Americana that used to lay an egg every 3 days ish. However, over the last several weeks she hasn't laid at all. Every morning we find her in the brood box where she used to lay her eggs, but doesn't lay. I don't think she is multing but may be? She hasn't lost a lot of feathers, just a few.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

she could be egg bound, look it up for treatment and how to know if she has it

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could she be going broody?

4. 76972clb

76972clb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    East Texas
    She still hasn't laid one egg. I've checked the yard to make sure she hasn't laid one egg. While searching more on the internet this morning, I read that sometimes chickens stop laying when the pecking chain has been messed up. I'm glad that I've been asking questions here for the information and date stamp on my questions. It appears that she stopped laying her eggs when we introduced Mr. Rooster.

Do any of you have any suggestions to get her started laying?

Also, I'm planning on getting another hen from my friend who I got Mr. Rooster from. This will mess up the pecking chain again. This chicken is about 8 months old has hasn't laid one egg either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by