1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Americana not using leg, has weird something on leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tenderft chick, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Tenderft chick

Tenderft chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    So found our American "Henny Penny" limping. Looked at her leg & thought at first her leg was broken, so brought in and put in small crate. Leg looks same, there was no blood and when feel leg don't feel anything broken or what moves but she can't really stand on it or walk. When she tries she just flops over. If I put her on the rug she can kinda stand a little better. Here are pics they are not the best only have my cell phone. Any ideas let me know. She is eating great, feathers are good, she is grooming herself etc, just having trouble walking, please if you have any ideas, can't put back with others as they just attack her.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    It is hard to see [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Is it an open wound or just a lump [​IMG]. If it has a break in the skin you might try putting some antibiotic ointment on it and wrapping it with gauze for a few days. Do you have a pet carrier or box you can keep her in for a few days [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Tenderft chick

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Just a break in the skin, been putting Watkins petro carbo salve on, no blood & no bone sticking out just not putting any weight on it.

4. Tenderft chick

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Henny is stilling having trouble walking and standing, but she is eating great and even "offering" herself up for any rooster in the area, unfortunately no rooster around.

Still can't figure out what is happening with leg. Almost like a sore but almost like she has something under the skin or something. Don't know. Will keep trying to get a good picture.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Do you think maybe any sort of tendon structure may have gotten cut? Or that there is something wedged in the leg? So confusing!

6. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    It's hard to see in the picture, but could it be scaly leg mites?

7. Tenderft chick

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    What are scaly leg mites. As of today she is standing but still really unsteady if she goes slow she is ok but wobbly.

8. Tenderft chick

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Ok here should be a better picture. Still not quite sure if scaly leg mites. DH thinks it is a problem with hip area. At least she is now standing and trying to walk with her leg. Putting Watkins petro carbo salve on but have not been putting on regularly. What do you think.[​IMG]

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Get some gauze, vet wrap, and triple antibiotic ointment without the pain reliever. soak her foot in a shallow dish of warm water and epsom salts before you wrap her foot. After 5-10 minutes soaking pat dry the foot, slather that area with triple antibiotic and wrap gauze around it. Then take the vet wrap and go over the gauze with that. Leave on for a few days. When you take the wrap off that chunk of skin will just fall right off. She might have a problem with her hip as well but that foot looks like scaly leg mites.

10. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I don't think she has scaley leg mites.

They pretty much always invade toes before legs, so you would be seeing very raised scales on her toes first, & then progressively moving up her legs, causing more raised scales as they move up.

Underneath scales infested with these mites you see build-up of kind-of-moist, powdery white stuff. This gunk is made up of mite eggs, dead mites, etc.The build-up of the gunk is what cause the scales to become raised.

It may be that at the same time she got her injury on her leg her hip became injured as well. Maybe caught her leg in something, which caused the scale to get scraped away from normal position on the leg, & then her hip got wrenched as she struggled to get free?? Who knows. [​IMG]

If she has a hip problem, keeping her confined to a small area will be useful helping her heal because she'll keep the hip more still.

It would also be important for her to have flooring with good traction so her hip doesn't get twisted from her feet slipping. An old scrap of carpet under a few inches of shavings could make a good temporary floor while she's recuperating. But if you use it more than a few days, you should dust it with Sevin or DE to prevent mites from possibly moving in.

Best wishes in figuring out best ways to treat her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by