Americana or Araucana

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tiffanya, Sep 17, 2010.

1. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    This two breeds were sold interchangeably from the hatchery where I got my chicks. This may be a dumb questions but these are my first chickens and I honeslty don't know. How do I tell which breed they really are? Information about the relation or non-relations of the breeds seems to vary so much.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    If you got them from a hatchery they are Easter Eggers. Unless you special ordered them from Sandhill or a small operation like Hodge's or The Chick Hatchery, but they would never mistake/interchange the name like that.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  3. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    I think you should read & look at the pics on FeatherSite:
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKAraucanas.html

Easter eggers are what you have.

Araucanas & Ameraucanas are both not offen seen outside of show/breeder flocks & both cost more then hatchery buyers are willing to pay. Plus true Araucanas also can be very hard to breed.

Easter eggers are just as good as Ameraucanas in a back yard flock both lay a blue egg & have fluffy faces, (Although Easter eggers, also can lay green eggs & have clean faces...long story short is EE's are a fancy mutt)

4. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Thanks. I've just read so much conflicting information on the breeds. I was fairly sure there were probably Americanas. I wasn't too concerned about having purebreeds, just thought a few colored eggs might be fun. I appreciate the info.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Egger (always sold at hatcheries) - usually look like this
    [​IMG]

Ameraucana (never sold at hatcheries, except from MPC in egg form)
    [​IMG]

Araucana (never sold at hatcheries and quite rare) - have no tails and tufts, but not a beard
    [​IMG]

6. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    He really is a nice roo Illia. I appreciate that he seems to stand still for a pic also. I spent the day chasing my various birds around the yard begging, please just one nice pic, please.

Got a lot of them digging in the dirt and my flower beds, like it was going out of style. LOL

Lanae

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Raise em like pets from day one, and they'll do anything for you. [​IMG]

8. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Sorry doesn't work like that. I can get mine to run over and let me pic them up, they chase me all over the place. My splash roo loves to sit on the steering wheel while Im driving, but the second the camera comes out, its like they don't recognize me anymore.

I once had a horse that was trained to shoot off of and everytime I pointed my camera at here to take a pic., she would spread her ears out like I was holding a gun or something. My chickens act like that. I think they are just messing with me.

Lanae

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:"Mrs. Tweedy, the chickens are revolting!!!" [​IMG]

10. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:When I take pics of the wild song birds we feed I park my car next to the feeder and drape the open window w/ two towels, then put just the lens through and get really good shots, maybe something like that would work for you. An area you can sit and drape most of the camera.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by