Americana quit laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nwsuzy, May 18, 2008.

1. nwsuzy

nwsuzy New Egg

May 18, 2008
    I've only had her a year and all my other hens RIR's have been laying for longer. She quit laying this year. She did lay one egg at the beginning of spring and it was really soft and seemed like she was getting into the mood to keep laying but I havent seen another one since. I've looked around the yard and can't find that she is laying somewhere else. Any advice on why she would quit laying. I really loved the novelty of the green eggs. Thanks.

2. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    she may be molting. I have 2 americaunas who are 12 months old. One has had a major molting thing going on for the last few months. she didn't lose a lot of feathers, She just started laying again almost a month ago. she still doesn't lay every day like the other one does. but what's weird is that even when she wasn't laying she would still sit in the nesting box almost every day like she was trying to lay. I looked for signs of her eating her eggs, but there were none.

3. nwsuzy

nwsuzy New Egg

May 18, 2008
    Can she be molting with no evidence of losing feathers?

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    so often when I have a problem I look on here and someone else has posted the exact same thing - that's whyI never end up posting myself . . .!

So we too have an Ameracauna, Coconut, who is about 11 months and who hasnt laid all week? Any reason to worry, like about eggbound, etc? She doesnt seem ill in any way; just no more of her special eggs. How long is her vacation likely to last?

Tx.

Chickiebaby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by