americana rhode island red mix

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vicki98, Jul 27, 2011.

1. vicki98

vicki98 New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Hi I am new here and fairy new to chickens.
    I have four questions: (the last one may be silly)

My Americana and Rhode Island red mixes started laying perfectly pink, blue and green eggs. They are a year old now and the hen who laid pink has gone white, is she okay?

Also, this summer they lost weight even though eating plenty. I gave them DE and they recovered somewhat. Was that enough to keep them healthy?

Is there such a thing as waiting out a broody chick? One of my girls is broody but doesn't bite and I take her out twice a day to make sure she gets enough food and water.

Do chickens need a small pool of water in this heat?

Thanks for your help-Vicki

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

My Americana and Rhode Island red mixes started laying perfectly pink, blue and green eggs. They are a year old now and the hen who laid pink has gone white, is she okay?

Probably. The longer they lay without a molt, the paler the eggs may become. It seems to happen more with some chickens than others. You may be surpriosed at the egg color after she refreshes her system with a molt.

Also, this summer they lost weight even though eating plenty. I gave them DE and they recovered somewhat. Was that enough to keep them healthy?

I'm personally not a DE fan, though there are some on this forum that think it is the greatest thing since peanut butter and sardines on rye. I'd suggest talking with a vet about doing a fecal sample looking for worms, or go ahead and treat for worms. I'd also check for mites and lice, especially roost mites, which means you check after they are on the roosts and it is dark.

Is there such a thing as waiting out a broody chick? One of my girls is broody but doesn't bite and I take her out twice a day to make sure she gets enough food and water.

You might read this thread.

Break a Broody Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2176186#p2176186

Do chickens need a small pool of water in this heat?

I don't know your conditions or your heat. I keep several different types of waterers available with my temperatures around 100 Fahrenheit. I sometimes see some standing in the open bowls of water. Do they need that? Probably not, but it won't hurt to have a shallow pool of water available in the shade as long as you don't have very young chicks that could get in and drown.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. vicki98

vicki98 New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Thanks Ridgerunner! I'll get my girl in a cage right away. _Vicki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by