Americana Rooster loosing his feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by just learning, Jan 7, 2009.

1. just learning

just learning New Egg

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi there all, I am hoping that someone out there with more experience than I can help. We purchased an Americana Rooster and his hen this fall. Both were in great shape and the hen started to lay immediatly (and still is daily). In the last month the rooster has started to loose his tail feathers and now the neck feathers. The skin is not broken, but he looks really silly with no feathers. The hen is starting now to loose her tail feathers as well. I have dusted for lice thinking that was irritating them, but to no avail. I put stop peck on to see if that would keep them away from the area, but again nothing seems to be stopping them. I should mention we are in Alberta, Cananda and the average temp this last month and today is -25 to -40 so it is cool, but their coop has sufficent heat and heated waters. Any sugestions would be welcome. thanks, Kim

2. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    It could just be that they are moulting.

3. just learning

just learning New Egg

Jan 7, 2009
    I kinda thought they did that in the spring or summer, not the middle of winter? I believe they are going to be 2 this spring, wondering if age has something to do with this?

4. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    My EE started moulting in December. I believe it can happen any time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by