1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Americana rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by maggie b, Sep 2, 2010.

1. maggie b

maggie b Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    I got a number of Americana hens & two roosters as chicks. The two I purchased as roosters are mostly white bodied with dark tails etc. One of the "hens" turned out to be a rooster also but it is brightly multicolored. Is that unusual? I thought the cocks were supposed to be white bodied. It was a surprise. I kept thinking it looked like a rooster in shape but it didn't crow nor accost a hen. Today I saw it do the wild thing so I know it is a rooster even though it isn't vocal. It is really a beautiful combinations of colors. Looks like a patchwork quilt. I'lll try to get a photo. to upload. [​IMG] This is one of the white ones [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like some pretty Easter Eggers

3. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Very nice looking Easter Eggers. These are my favorite. Usually people who raise araucanas or ameraucanas will tell you that you have easter eggers wich is commonly called mutts or mongrels. This is not an insult ( i know because I'm an EE lover) if anything it is a complement. I use a blue wheaten ameraucana cockeral to cover my EE hens and other breeds to create more EEs and olive eggers. I just prefer EEs to the auracana and ameraucana.They are usually a larger bird with pretty eggs and I've found them to be better layers. Enjoy

4. maggie b

maggie b Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    So are you saying these are not EEs ? They were sold as Americanas which I figured meant mixed domestic & Auracana. They aren't burning up the woods laying yet. The barred rocks, New Hampsires & RIRs are running rings around them. I enjoy the colored eggs I do get. They don't have bodies as generously built as the domestic chickens but they are cute with their little tuft under the beak.

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    They are ester eggers !

A- the parents could of been pure bred ameraucana ( no I in it ) but they could of both been a different color making the offspring Easter eggers

Or

B - Easter eggers are often sold as araucana or ameraucana from hatchereys or from ppl who don't know what they have .

Check this site out http://www.ameraucana.org/. It will help you with the true birds so you can learn colors if you ever get real ameraucanas. Good luck !

By the way ee's and ameraucanas have beards only true araucanas have tufts

6. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:ameraucanas are a pure breed, auracanas are a pure breed...both blue egg layers. they take a brown egg layer & mate it with a blue egg layer making an EE which is a mutt. Never the less some do lay either brown, blue, green or pink eggs hence the nickname rainbow layers.

hatcheries sell EE's as ameruacanas cause most people don't know what a true quaility ameraucana is. legs, colors & stuff all figure in............

7. lazyoranch

lazyoranch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    He is beautiful!! Would love to have him in my flock!!!

8. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Quote:No I'm saying that they are Easter Eggers wich does mean that they are mixed either with araucanas or ameraucanas and another breed of some sort. I don't think there is such a thing as Americanas, unless this is just a marketing strategy for Easter Egger. Maybe I missunderstood you original post. They are Easter Eggers wich can have any color under the sun in their feathers and will lay you a variety of colored eggs. They are roosters.

9. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    It can be very confusing but once you understand it just seems absurd instead of confusing as to why there are EE's and Americauna's. There has alot to do with color of the birds. The slate legs, beards, muffs and tuffts too. They can have all that but not be a "standard" color and be called an EE. They can have both Americauna parents but if not the right color they are an EE. So just give me an EE and get if over with. As long as I get a colored egg, I'm happy. By the way. Are you needing a home for one of those roos? Because I need one. If your located close enough to me that is. I have 5 "EE" hens. Although 1 is pure white with all the standard specs and would be called an Americauna. I will call her an EE. Her mother and sisters are EE so she is too. [​IMG]

Those roos are handsome by the way. Nice job.

10. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:No I'm saying that they are Easter Eggers wich does mean that they are mixed either with araucanas or ameraucanas and another breed of some sort. I don't think there is such a thing as Americanas, unless this is just a marketing strategy for Easter Egger. Maybe I missunderstood you original post. They are Easter Eggers wich can have any color under the sun in their feathers and will lay you a variety of colored eggs. They are roosters.

There are such a thing as ameruacanas..................i breed them [​IMG] They ONLY lay blue eggs.................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by