Americana rooster

I have 6 EE's. I get 1 khaki/tan egg, 1 blue egg and 4 green eggs. I thought I was getting purebred Ameraucana's when I ordered them from the hatchery but I didn't read the small print that explained they weren't true Ameraucana's but mixed birds therefore EE's. I love my EE's but I do want to get a couple of true Ameraucana's one day. I love the blue eggs and I feel fortunate that I have at least one blue layer. Your roo is gorgeous!! I wouldn't have been disappointed if one of mine had turned out to be a roo!

Quote:
No I'm saying that they are Easter Eggers wich does mean that they are mixed either with araucanas or ameraucanas and another breed of some sort. I don't think there is such a thing as Americanas, unless this is just a marketing strategy for Easter Egger. Maybe I missunderstood you original post. They are Easter Eggers wich can have any color under the sun in their feathers and will lay you a variety of colored eggs. They are roosters.

There are such a thing as ameruacanas..................i breed them
wink.png
They ONLY lay blue eggs.................

There is an ameraucana and araucana. she said she bought americanas wich as I said I don't think there is such a thing unless it is a new way for hatcheries to market Easter Eggers. Maybe I'm just getting caught up in the spelling here, but if you breed them then you know this. I think you said that you breed ameruacanas. This is new to me as well...........

Maybe this link will explain a little more. http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html
I was very confused myself about this breed. In my opinion they are all the same but to the breeders, they're not. And they get testy about it too. Americauna's are a project bird in reality. The Easter Egger was around first till somebody decided to develope a chicken that laid only blue eggs. They also decided that only certain colors are acceptable t
lau.gif
o concider the bird an Americauna. Hatcheries and feed stores will advertise that they have Americauna's for sale. But if you mentin that on a thread or say you bought it at either a breeder will automataically say it's an EE. They don't even have to set eyes on the bird. It's that touchy of a subject. It's just best to say you have EE's than argue with somebody any different. Personally I could care less if I get purple eggs as long as they are colored eggs. The more colors the better. I have 2 hens that lay blue eggs and one of those is solid white. A "standard" color for Americauna. She has all the specificaitons of an Americauna but they tell me she is EE. She has3 other sisters and a mother.

What gets me is the fact that 2 pure Americauna's can produce an EE. Thats ike sayig me and DH can produce an owl. lol I guess I could if I put the egg in the bator.
lau.gif

Excellent way to explain it and I totally agree. I was thinking about it the other day and It reminded me of when I was a kid and learning that if a quarter horse bred to another quarter horse had white on it's body in any place other than the designated places, then it couldn't be registered as a quarter horse. it had to be registered as a paint horse. but a paint horse could be crossed with any other horse as long as it threw the paint colors. Very weird.
Quote:

The Easter egger was not the first blue egg layer

There's an ancient breed in south America I believe that lays Blue eggs

Breeders don't get testy they just want you to know what is what so that ppl know what there getting .

2 ameraucanas produce Easter eggers when you cross 2 different colored ameraucanas
Together .

Quote:
Explaine to me what the difference in the color of the bird makes. The Easter Egger was around way before the Ameracauna was. This is actually a project bird and which makes it a mutt. Explain to me how an originally pure bird can all of a sudden become a mutt when somebody uses that same breed to produce another breed? Not trying to stir the mud here but it just seems absured to me that this breed is so particular that ONLY certain colors are acceptable even though the bird expreses all the other traits even the blue egg. Just a color will disqualify it and make it an EE which really isn't a mutt at all but a pure breed that has exhisted for years.

Quote:

I know what you mean. It's just crazy to me to make things so difficult that even this can become an argument. I had this same problem when I was into long tails. And I use that term loosley. Heanve forbid I call my birds what they where. A person was doing a project and named these birds a name that a handful of people disagreed with and it was horrid. That handful of people posted pages on the web and on other forums that ridiculed this person and put down the birds so bad it was just rediculous. LIke they took it personal, when it actually had nothing to do with them. The birds wheren't even complicated like these are. Everytime I posted an ad anywhere to sell eggs or birds they posted after me and warned people not to buy my birds because they are not what I say they are and they are such bad quality birds they should not be sold. Those people never set eyes on my birds. My roo was my Avatar for a long time and I had so many comments on how beautiful he was. lol. I couldn't sell a single bird and only sold 6 eggs that didn't survive shipping. I traded them for a whole bunch of quail and some rabbits. No use in trying to sell something that somebody trashed so bad I can't sell.

(Notice, I didn't mention any names or the breed of bird)

Back
Top Bottom