Americana's stopped laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wht93lx, Dec 5, 2016.

1. wht93lx

wht93lx New Egg

Aug 23, 2016
    Hillsboro. MO
    I have 2 americana chickens that we got in March 2016. They were laying eggs all summer long. Now that the tempature has channge we have not had any eggs from these chicks since before Thanksgiving. I know the laying process slows down during the cold months, but I didn't think it would completely stop. Anyone have and thoughts or suggestion???

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMHO, you've been misled. Egg laying for most breeds has little to do with temperature and it hasn't been cold in MO.

Day length in relation to length of darkness is the largest determinant of whether ovulation is possible.
    I've run spreadsheets for all my flocks with daily production, high / low temps and precipitation each day. There has never been a correlation between temperature and production.
    Chickens in warm climates will still experience a lull in production when days get short.
    We are 16 days from the shortest day of the year. Days will lengthen thereafter. I would expect birds the age of yours to resume laying within a month of the winter solstice.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. wht93lx

wht93lx New Egg

Aug 23, 2016
    Hillsboro. MO
    Thanks for your reply. I was hoping I didn't do something wrong. I am new to having chickens. I am also new to this site. What does IMHO mean? [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    IMHO - in my humble opinion. Great post from Chicken Canoe. I think that he nailed the problem.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    IMHO - in my honest opinion.

Birds were day olds in March 2016?
    Most pullets(female chickens under a year old)will still lay even during the 'dark season'.
    Most of mine are.

6. wht93lx

wht93lx New Egg

Aug 23, 2016
    Hillsboro. MO
    Thanks. Chicks were about 5 days old when we brought them home in March. I was disappointed that we stop getting blue eggs but the other breeds are still laying and we have plenty for our family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by