1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Americana's... Too Loud

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6Chickens&counting, Jun 8, 2011.

1. 6Chickens&counting

6Chickens&counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm in the city with 4 chickens soon to be 6, anyway I used to have 2 Americana's but one got too loud so I gave it to our local farm. The other one was fine until I gave its sister away now it just replaces its loud "squack". Why is it that they "Bauck" and "Squack" So noisy and loudly? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:jumpy [​IMG]

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I'm not sure. I have two that are about 10 wks old now and I have never had them before. [​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    6Chickens&counting :

Why is it that they "Bauck" and "Squack" So noisy and loudly? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:jumpy [​IMG]

[​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! They do all that cause their chickens!! [​IMG] It's in their nature!!​

4. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE has never been loud, but I have a bunch of her eggs in the bator so I might find out different.

5. Backyard Barb

Backyard Barb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Brisbane
    I have 1 large Americana who thinks shes the rooster. The gets up on the highest thing she can and says AUK AUK AUK AUk BACOCK! over and over usually around 11am. Funny thing is she is the only one who has gone broody. Very mixed up bird. Cannot decided if she wants to be a mommy or butch dyke.

6. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    From what I've seen it seems that whoever is the top hen has a job, and one of her duties is to keep the rest of the flock together with a running monologue of "pep talk". Our first boss hen kept up a constant grumbling, squawking, muttering, bak bak bak . . . the others would accompany her but her voice was always the loudest. When we lost her, the second-in-command stepped up to the job, and immediately took over the position of coop cryer. Then when we lost her, the next hen in the lineup took over the job. So, I'm not sure it's possible to have a group of birds and not have one loud-mouth, unless you investigate breeds that don't talk much at all . . . maybe they're out there?

But I do know that I love hearing my girls, constantly reporting on the state of the weather, the bug conditions for the day, the feed market futures, who's been laying and who's been slacking . . . you know, all the really important news! I'd much rather hear them than barking dogs, roaring motorcycles and hovering helicopters.

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    my neighbors across the highway and 3 houses down know when I get an egg. [​IMG]

other than that, the girls are pretty quiet. When the rooster starts to crow, they hear him too. Good thing they like it!

8. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    chickens are noisy... when the roosters crow, when they all sing the wake up(or bedtime) song, when the hens lay an egg, when they scuffle, when they find a bug, when they find a rock, when they find a blade of grass, when they want attention, & when they have no apparent reason to make noise... they are just noisy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by