Americanas with tumors????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ardizzone7, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I have 9 Americana hens and 1 roo. I just noticed the other day that most of them including the roo have a large egg shaped mass under the skin on their chest. They do not cause pain and the chickens are acting fine. Are these tumors? What do I do? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. raymarkson

raymarkson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Georgia
    Are you sure that it isn't just a full crop?

3. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    hoestly I do not know. What is a full crop? Sorry new to all this.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Your birds all have full crops..That's good-that's their stomachs. All the food collects in this pocket awaiting digestion. Look at them in the morning-the size of the crops will have shrunk considerably:)

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    For some reason i thought your thread said "Americans with tumors" [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
  7. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    LMAO! Well that is good to know. I just realized it is in evening time when I noticed it. O well the only stupid question is the one not asked! Thanks!

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:There are no stupid questions! We were all in your shoes once [​IMG]

9. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

HaHaHahahahah!

I did this same exact thing! I'm a chicken newbie altho I've had other birds before and when my chicks were about 3 weeks old they all pigged out on their food and i thought one had a tumor. Then I realized three or four of them had tumors. i started looking closer and they ALL had tumors! and they were all suspiciously happy and content [​IMG] I'd just never seen them eat so much at once and their crops are not in the middle of their chest but off to one side and much more noticeable than a full crop on say, a parrot or parakeet. So I panicked for about 10 minutes that they had tumors, then i fretted for 2 hrs that they would all have compacted crops after I realized it was a full crop, and then I wore myself out, went to bed and when I woke up they were just fine and hungry for more treats again as always.

You are in good company [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by