Americanizing imported breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Scooter1978, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Scooter1978

Scooter1978 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    I'm new here and have never decided to get serious about poultry until now, but I'm not new to the livestock industry livestock showing and breeds of livestock (cattle sheep and goats) newly imported to the United States.

How does the American poultry association set breed standards for imported chickens? Do they Americanize them or do they go with what breeders who bred and developed them centuries ago decided was best? I have read some harsh criticism of a farm who imports rare chickens and I know from personal expierence the type of animal people select for in one country is entirely different than what breeders in another country select for. So the first few generations of the breed in America will be greatly lacking in our eyes until we Americanize the breed which all to often unfortunately means getting things that kept them viable for centuries bred out of them.

2. Scooter1978

Scooter1978 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Does anybody know or care how the standards are decided? Or if these standards are beneficial to the breed?

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    From my understanding, the APA does not write the standard for a breed. The group of breeders who work together on the breed to get the breed recognized as a breed writes the breeds standard. So many breeders have to be able to show consistent breeding results for 5 yrs or so and so many birds have to be shown at one show for it to become a APA recognized breed. But like I said, this is my understanding and I could be very wrong on this.

Maybe Fowlman01 or Nyreds or the likes will show up and help you. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by