Americas Dirtiest Cities

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Nov 18, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Saw that one... how sad is it that the state everyone thinks is so hard core 'green' has that many places on the top 10? Of course, that's probably WHY they're so hard core about cleaning up... but most folks never realized that.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Wow! 7 out of 10?!?!?! Nice job Cali...yeesh! I have never been there, had no idea it was THAT dirty [​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Chattanooga was on that list once an made it a point to never be again. They made the list this year for one of the most dangerous community in the country though. It has 4 roads with the same name. Even though there in different communitys crime is high on all of them... Who ever made the list counted all the crimes in all these roads as the same place.... So they made the top 10 list. Chattanooga, a crime capital. [​IMG]

5. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Yay, we win!

All of the California cities on that list, excluding the L.A. metro area, lie within the Central Valley and are surrounded by ag land, which means we get lots of particulate pollution, chemicals, and smoke. The valley is deep and stagnant so we don't get any air movement most of the year to move our own pollution out, nor do we get much rain to get it out of the air. Public transit is uncommon, and Highway 99 brings in a lot of traffic from folks traveling up and down our fine state. Smoke from mountain wildfires settles in the valley and in the right weather conditions we get some of the gross stuff from L.A. and San Francisco pushed in here, too.

California is great-just avoid the middle part.

Edit: Hey! I found a chart!

[​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Riverside is a basin also, with alot of dairies in the area. Long Beach - HELLO!?!?! It is a MAJOR shipping port, of course it's polluted.

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Bet that's confusing for cops making a call too...no wonder there is so much crime.. Nothing smarter and faster than a crackhead trying to get away with something.

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    We moved to Modesto 2 yrs ago this Christmas Eve.

My grand daughter has areas she hates to go. She wants to live on a farm, but she will roll up windows and yell "ooooooo COW POOP!"

That they really need to show is the difference between California and other states when it comes to roads and highway crude!

I know one reason the roads are so bad is we aren't able to have real finished streets and roads anymore (about 30 years now) because the ground moves and they're useless. But it would be nice if they were as clean as other states and they'd at least fill in the mile deep potholes!

Modesto has a LOT of factories. Smoke stacks everywhere. It's a huge city acerage wize, but it's still small town. Biggest building in downtown is Double Tree. Otherwise the buildings are very short. I grew up in Oakland and SF was my hangout when I was younger, so this is a lot different than where I grew up, but I do like it here, although I'm looking for something now that's closer to where my husband is buried.

He loved the bay Area and I did too, but housing out here is cheaper. WHY? It's dry, smells and no one really WANTS to moved here. OK I did. LOL There was a new grand baby on the way and I wanted to be close for a change.

I think the cheapest place you can live here is Bakersfield. Way back when we did some RE investing I wanted to buy there, because I knew there would always be people needing to rent there for cheap. Couldn't get my husband and our partners to listen. It's dirty, but property values went up. Only because when no one could afford to live anywhere else they had to move there to live. They wouldn't go for it because it was so dirty there.

You can move to the desert, but I think not.

Just doesn't surprise me that we got all the dirty cities. Most companies are finally becoming Green, but heck that doesn't stop the people who live in those cities from adding to the problems. I have neighbors who will actually burn tires in their yards.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

10. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    As awful as I think Fresno is, you couldn't pay me to live in Bakersfield. I still remember one trip we were driving down 99 heading to SoCal, and one of the oil pumps outside the city was on fire right next to the highway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by