Americauna/Auracauna strain confused hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mec924, May 1, 2017.

1. mec924

mec924 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

My daughter and I picked up 13 chicks form Family Farm and Home end of February and 10 weeks later, the one pictured started grabbing the other hens necks on occasion. Last week, we heard one of them do a half attempt at a crowing, I went to the coop and it was the one pictured. So far, it's only done this twice ion the last week and when we leave the kitchen window open and it hears us talking, moving around, etc. We're really hoping it's not a rooster as our neighbors have been ok with the chickens, but I'm sure a rooster will sour that feeling. Since my bedroom window is right near the coop, I don't really want to hear a rooster either.

Can anyone tell by the picture if this is a Hen or a Rooster, probably 10-11 weeks old, we picked it up on 27FEB17 and guessed it was a week old at that time. It is not the biggest in the flock, we have 3 Australorps that are the biggest and probably a week or two older than the rest as well as 2 Barred Rocks that were also larger than the other chicks when we got them all.

What's the consensus, Hen or Rooster?????

2. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    That's a rooster.

3. mec924

mec924 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Michigan
    Well shoot, that's disappointing. We really like the way that one looks as it's really different than the other 2 of the same strain. Will have to tell the daughter when she comes home. We were hoping to have 3 hens laying colored eggs. She wants to get a Silkie, but I don't know if I want to go through raising a separate chick that's going to lay very small eggs nor do I want to try to introduce an already small breed to the other hens, I'd rather get another of the same strain as the rooster.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by