Americauna & Buff Orpington Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jeff0710, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Jeff0710

Jeff0710 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    SE Virginia
    I am new to chickens and just built my first coop. I have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 Americauna. The Americauna seems a little bossy. Just curious to know what anyone thinks. Do any of them look like a roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

The buff orpingtons look like pullets for now but that easter egger has saddle feathers which means he's a rooster.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    your ameraucana is actually an easter egger and it is a cockerel

4. Jeff0710

Jul 29, 2013
    SE Virginia
    What exactly is an easter egger other than the color of the eggs. Is it a mix breed? I was kind of thinking he was starting to look like a cockerel.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Easter egger are mutts that can lay blue,green, pink, brown, or white eggs. Somewhere back in there ancestory they are usually mixed with ameraucanas or araucanas. Hatcheries, farm stores, and some untruthful or uneducated "breeders" sell EEs an ameraucanas and araucanas.

6. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Easter Egger usually means a chicken with Ameraucana somewhere in the bloodline. Very complicated discussions about the differences on some threads.

I agree that the EE looks like a cockerel and the Buffs look like pullets. Nice looking birds, too :)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Orp pullets and Easter egger cockerel.

8. Jeff0710

Jul 29, 2013
    SE Virginia
    Ok. Looks like I may have had an untruthful breeder. Going to wait a little longer before I find a better home for him. Unfortunatly I'm not allowed to have roosters where I live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by