Americauna chicks...wahts is the color called if so?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Roxannemc, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    HI
    New chicken owner ...I have 3 chicks 3 weeks old that are supposed to be Americauna but in the breed discription i dont see their colors..
    They do have greenish legs
    .If they are... What is the color called ?is it "partridge"? They remind me of partridges but each is marked a little differently with these same colors generally
    [​IMG]

2. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    that chick kind of looks like a speckled sussex and partridge rocks are darker

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Welcome to the wonderful world of owning chickens :)

You've run into something that is a very common issue to people who buy 'Ameraucanas' or 'Araucanas' from hatcheries and feedstores. They are mislabling their birds. What they offer is a mixed breed that is referred to as "easter eggers' because of their tendency to lay colored eggs. Ameraucanas are a VERY strictly regulated breed that can only come in a few colors, as you've run into.

However, since Easter Eggers arn't a breed, there's no regulation, and they can have all sorts of mixed features (even laying brown eggs instead of blue or green). It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your birds, in fact I own an EE and she is hilarious and friendly.

Your birds will grow up to either be silver or gold duckwing pattern. Here is a picture of my silver duckwing EE. Her name is Iti; please don't mind her wet beard, she was getting it wet that day :p.

[​IMG]

4. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    i might be wrong but it also kindof looks like an easter egger so im not sure wheter its that or a speckled sussex

5. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    These chipmunk-striped "Ameraucanas" (actually Easter Eggers), which you probably got from a feed store or directly from a hatchery, grow up to have brownish coloration that does not match an accepted color for chicken breeds. If there is a word for this color, I'd like to know myself. Someone once said it's called "duckwing," but I'm not so sure. I have two "Ameraucanas" that looked like this as chicks.

6. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Just saw Pele's post. So it is "duckwing"?

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Yep.

8. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    thanks forthe reply.... SHES nice!!!

9. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    They called them "Ameraucanas" at the store. But thats ok..they are pretty and so is the photo of the grown hen so i dont mind.But now i wonder what they are crossed with?
    Do hope to get a green or blue egg though!!I
    Reposted this question today. Sorry i didnt see the replys here Shouild have looked first. .Thanks to everyone.

10. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Yours does look JUST like mine!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by