americauna colors?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, May 2, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Just got some chipmunk colored chicks. Are they going to be brown/red? I cant find pics of what they are...they have good beards and muffs. Were not in with the easter eggers. They were sold as true americaunas. Now that I have some I'll have to learn how to spell it. They are the color of my other breeds that are partridge but I didn't see that they come in that color. They don't really have any feathers yet so I cant tell. Hope someone can help. Thanks

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    EE come in all sorts of colors. Not sure there is any you can't get.

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Partridge also goes by the name of Black breasted red, which is a recognized colour in Ameraucanas.

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    The same store had some chicks labeled easter eggers before so these were marked americauna so hopfully they know the difference.

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
  6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Feed stores have no clue what they are selling. Ours sold EEs as Araucana. I took an araucana in to educate them on what a true araucana looks like and they still sell EEs as Araucana, even after being educated. They are as bad as hatcheries in mislabeling the chicks.

Jody

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Welp hatchery sells what they call "Ameraucana (Araucana)" which, as we know, is a bunch of baloney-those are two different breeds. My husband emailed them and asked them which one they sold, that these were two different breeds or did they just sell mixed breed Easter Eggers. They said they sold Ameraucanas. When we wrote back and asked which accepted Ameraucana colors they sold, and gave them a link to the standard, this was the answer from Welp:

I’m sorry, we do not sell specific colors, nor do we guarantee show quality birds, so if you are looking for those kinds of birds, you might want to contact a private breeder. We wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Brian Kollasch

Welp, Inc.​

8. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Hooray! I knew their beards and muffs looked too good for fakes! The silver chick picture looks just like them. I never even looked at the silver picture because they look 3 different shades of brown...it is crazy how different the feather colors of a chicken are compared to the down colors of the chicks. My first rhode island red was strawberry blonde when I got him... his feathers and my hair are about the same color now ...(= dyed mine RIR dark reddy brown a couple weeks ago) I'll have to take a pic with him.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hope they're the silver Ameraucanas. Someone said they tend to lay the bluest eggs, but not sure how true that is.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I truly hope you did get nice silver ameraucana, but I still doubt that you would get them at a feed store. Lots of chicks, including EEs have chipmunk brown stripes. And many EEs have beautiful muffs/beards as well. You'll have to keep us posted as the chicks grow. It would be great to know you have a local breeder supplying your feed store. I'm sure you'll have fun with them regardless.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by