Americauna? Easter Egger? I don't know the difference lol

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Crittercountry, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Crittercountry

Crittercountry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2007
    Lenoir City, TN
    Here are my two new girls:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I don't have better pictures. They haven't warmed up to me yet and won't let me get to close to them. I LOVE their coloring. The darker one has red laced with blue feathers. She is the most skittish, so I can't get a good close up of her. So are they Americauna's? Easter Eggers? What are the differences?

I'm thinking of cross breading the one with my blue laced red wyandotte to see what colors and lacings come out.

2. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    They are both probably Aracaunas. Aracaunas usually vary from brown gold and sometimes white. I have two Aracaunas one is brown and her name is Delilah and the other is a beautiful gold and black whom we named Jane. An easter egger are also none as Ameracauna and Aracauna because of there blue green eggs. So technically there are no differences between Aracaunas and easter eggers, but Ameracaunas and Aracaunas are colored differently.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, Gracie, but that's not correct. Araucanas are usually rumpless with ear tufts. Ameraucanas have tails, muffs and beards. Easter Eggers are mutt chickens that have the gene for blue eggs somewhere in their ancestry, but may lay blue, green, pinky or brown. We've been over this question so many times, I think we should just put a permanent sticky at the top of the page with the distinctions between the three breeds.
    Critter, they look like Easter Eggers to me, definitely NOT Araucanas. Almost every hatchery sells Easter Eggers. You almost have to buy true Ameraucanas or Araucanas from a breeder. Note the spelling, as well. Here are links for you:
    http://creefarm.fateback.com/ameraucana.html
    http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Araucanas are ear tuffed and rumpless (main recognized features), they have certain recognized colors to standard, and they lay blue'ish eggs.

Ameraucanas are bearded and muffed (cheeks), have tails, and must meet one of the recognized colors of the standard. They also lay blue to green eggs.

Easter Eggers are any chickens that lay blue, green, pink, and tints in-between colored eggs.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If you search though the breeds forums you will find almost an overload on this subject! Happy Reading!! [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    For a little further clarification, here are the breed club's info...I am taking you directly to the photo galleries to see the different varieties that are acceptable for each. Even if you have a chicken that closely resembles one of these birds doesn't necessarily mean it is a pure breed. You have to ensure it breeds true and provides offspring that are the right color for it to be considered pure. If not, it's an EE. I can say with a lot of confidence that the majority of birds obtained from hatcheries are EEs and even many that are acquired as hatching eggs from Ebay and Eggbid. Unless the person shows you the breeders that look like pure breeds, there is no guarantee. In addition, there are many other attributes that must be achieved in breeding birds to meet the standard of perfection. EEs are generally always lacking something in this area because of their cross bred history.

Ameraucana:

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Araucana:

http://www.araucana.net/Varieties/Araucana_Varieties.htm

Jody

7. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Yup, I agree. Easter eggers, but some of the coolest colored ones I've seen!! I have both ameraucanas and EEs, and I love them both.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I must say that the dark colored one is stunning! She's a beauty, for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by