Americauna/EE? Sex please!

Murdy

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2020
I'm unsure if these are actual Americauna or EE... thoughts? And genders? They are 12 weeks old or so. I think they are both pullets, but the black one confuses me a little. Worth mentioning... the black one was sold to me as a "barnyard mix", but sure looks americauna/EE to me.
20200805_084829.jpg
20200805_084900.jpg
20200805_084908.jpg
20200805_084701.jpg
20200805_085006.jpg
20200805_092745.jpg

Last edited:

ChocolateMouse

Free Ranging
7 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Cleveland OH
So easter eggers ARE a mixed breed or a landrace and are very similar to the ACTUAL breed, Ameraucana, which is a real breed with a standard and are not easter eggers. Most places don't sell real Ameraucanas.
Most places sell easter eggers and just call them "Ameraucana" or misspell it like "Americauna" to sell you a mutt bird at a premium price. Real ameraucanas come from breeders and very select hatcheries, they will list specific colors like other purebred chickens, and they will meet APA breed standard.

If you were told that they're barnyard, you probably have easter eggers. They're probably like half ameraucana to me and they look like pullets. Some easter eggers come out very much looking like extremely poorly bred Ameraucanas, and that's what these look like to me, too.

So tl;dr: These are not real Ameraucana. These are easter eggers AND barnyard mixes because those are the same thing. They are pullets.

Murdy

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2020
So easter eggers ARE a mixed breed or a landrace and are very similar to the ACTUAL breed, Ameraucana, which is a real breed with a standard and are not easter eggers. Most places don't sell real Ameraucanas.
Most places sell easter eggers and just call them "Ameraucana" or misspell it like "Americauna" to sell you a mutt bird at a premium price. Real ameraucanas come from breeders and very select hatcheries, they will list specific colors like other purebred chickens, and they will meet APA breed standard.

If you were told that they're barnyard, you probably have easter eggers. They're probably like half ameraucana to me and they look like pullets. Some easter eggers come out very much looking like extremely poorly bred Ameraucanas, and that's what these look like to me, too.

So tl;dr: These are not real Ameraucana. These are easter eggers AND barnyard mixes because those are the same thing. They are pullets.
Awesome! Thanks for the explanation. 😊

Gray Farms

Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock
Premium Feather Member
Apr 11, 2016
NW Missouri
Right.... But isn't there a slight difference.... Like Ameraucana vs Americana/EE?
No, Americauna and Easter Egger are completely interchangeable terms for the same breed "or hybrid rather".

Cron3380

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2020
I had one looked really close to your black one which was a prairie blue bell layer these eggs( turquoise color ones

Top Bottom