Americauna Eggs

Twiggers96

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
Arcadia, FL
I have a wheaten hen & a white hen with black running through the white. Almost like a silver laced but I can't find the name of this pattern.
They are both Americaunas.

I THINK they both laid their first eggs today but they were not blue or blue-ish-green!! :eek:(
They were what I would call beige.
Not white, not the brown of my Barred Rock - a light beige between those colors.
Is this possible for an Americauna?

If so, will they start to turn blue?

I will be REALLY miffed if I've waited all this time for my Americauna's to lay and they are not blue!!

If you are calling your Easter Eggers "Americaunas" then it is apparently possible for them to lay something besides green or blue. I have read on here that the blue egg gene doesn't always show up. I know almost nothing about Americaunas, but they do have a breed standard. Most feed store chickens sold as Americaunas are actually "mutts" or Easter Eggers. Look up Americaunas on this forum. I'm pretty the eggs won't turn blue if she starts out with beige eggs. Sorry!

Unless you bought your chickens from a reputable Ameraucana breeder, they are most likely Easter Eggers. Hatcheries and feed stores do not sell true Ameraucanas. Here is a link to the Ameraucana Breeder's Club so you can see the difference:

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

There are pictures of every true Ameraucana color available. If your birds don't match any of these then they are definitely EEs.
wink.png

Dagnabbit!

They were bought from a small feed store not TSC and they really, REALLY fit the req of Americaunas but perhaps they are mutts.
They have the green legs of Americaunas, the beard all that other jazz.

hmm.png

So a Mutt Americauna is an EE? And am I to understand that they will not lay colored eggs? I feel cheated I bought several Americaunas at a farm supply here in Mo and have been getting weirs beige eggs while most of the flock consistes of sex links and RIR, which give brown eggs naturally.

Quote:
I don't have either EE's or Americaunas, but from reading on here it seems plenty of EE's still lay blue/green eggs, it's just not guaranteed if they are EE's.

To OP- I'm sorry your not getting the colored eggs you want. Maybe in the spring you should look for an Americauna breeder near you. I'm sure your EE's will still be a good breed for your flock, but I understand your disappointment with the non-blue eggs! I'm going to be looking for a few in the spring myself to add some more color to my egg basket.

So, I have an Americauna/Orpington mix. But she looks like the Blue Americauna bantam on the site. Would she be more EE, then, since she's a mix? She's a baby-11 weeks. One of my 2 EE's started laying mint green eggs at 25 weeks.

Also, a true Ameraucana does not have green legs. Their legs should be a slate blue color with white at the underneath of their foot.
Unfortunately alot of Hatcheries that the feed stores get their chicks from sell Easter Eggers under the guise of Ameraucana/Araucana. The only way to get pure Ameraucanas is to by from a reputable breeder.

EEs do make pretty chickens though; however, there is no guarentee on what the egg color will be as they can lay any color egg depending on the parents that were crossed.

Back
Top Bottom