Americauna hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ktkeiper, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ktkeiper

ktkeiper New Egg

Jun 30, 2010
    We got some americauna hens from meyers a while ago and our chicks have all of their feathers now, but they look more like the roosters in the catalog than the hens. One of my friends said that they look kinda like falcons. They have a goldish-colored neck with black-edged feathers on the rest of their bodies. Sorry, I don't really have time to try to figure out the picture thing right now. Oh, and their tail feathers all go down instead of up... I don't know if they're americaunas or something else. They have really fluffy cheek feathers too. They're really cute![​IMG]

2. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Correction, you got EE hens
    I can't tell you if they are hens or roos w/o pics

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    If they are from a hatchery, they are most likely Easter Eggers, which is a mutt kind of breed, than americaunas. Most hatcheries list them as purebreds though.

4. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    post a picture, they sound very nice.
    You will soon learn, dear New Egg, that the terms Americauna, Auracana and EE do not get bandied about here lightly... [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC, Ktkeiper!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Welcome to BYC! I know your girls are going to be beautiful no matter what parents they came from.

6. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Quote:Exactly! EEs are just as good as those Ameraucanas!

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    They sound like EE pullets from your description. Lot's of hatchery EE's have that gold/black color pattern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by