Americauna? I have doubts...

NeverFast

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Long story short;

I bought a Silver Laced Wyandotte named her Alexis (the protector) she was so great and then 2 days later she had to be put down it was horrible!!! Tragic and sad and I was heartbroken. The man who sold her to me offered replace/refund but I declined both as its done and over with now may she rest in peace
sad.png

On to new chicken dubbed Ophelia (the helper) Bought her from Elverta Tack and Feed near Sacramento California. The lady who runs the place was a bit frazzled as to what chickens she actually had though all seemed VERY healthy and some were show and such. I picked out this little inquisitive one and the lady told me she was an americauna about 5 months old. I kind of got the feeling that her son mixed up the cages and she maybe didn't know who was who any more. I paid $20 for this girl and was happy to have another chicken for the coop I had build that Alexis never got to use.

Please if you can help with gender/breed/age I would be grateful if not no big deal as I love her all the same, if her ends up bieng him then, well, him is getting traded back in for her
smile.png
since I am running an underground chicken affair over here.
wink.png

105978_p1010795.jpg

105978_p1010794.jpg

105978_p1010792.jpg

105978_p1010790.jpg

105978_p1010789.jpg

105978_p1010796.jpg

105978_p1010783.jpg

105978_p1010797.jpg

yup neither:( The straight comb is a dead give away and the bleeding of the cooper feathers is another...I can't say its BCM because there really isnt enough Copper to say except those few feathers?? Im stumped but looks like your going to get eggies soon:)

Well she "said" 5 months but she also said americauna
smile.png
I thought Black Sex link

Adding to questions she is molting a TON right now and she spends hours a day fixing her pretty little feathers I am assuming this is normal? I am an avian expert in companion parrots but am not sure how much of that rolls over to the poultry part. plus a lot of her feathers seem ragged or broken (like some of the tail feathers) oh and forgot to add i got her on Sunday and she has not laid an egg as of yet.

well if she's molting..she's older than 5 months old..If she's never laid an egg yet..hmmmm I think you got an older hen...

When you say "older" do you mean like 2 years or like 6 years? I will love her either way but does kind of suck I was hoping to get a girl of about a year old. Just have to get another one HA!

I got seven chickens that were 17 weeks old. After a about 2-3 weeks, they all started shedding feathers like crazy (molting?) for a week or so. Shortly thereafter - between 22 and 26 weeks old - they all started laying. So shedding feathers doesn't have to mean yours is an old hen.

Checked for all illness upon picking her out due to loss of Alexis. No lice or bugs of any kind, no runny nose, good looking poops (except for today she had a grossy yellow runny one when I came home) but she has been in her coop all day so no odd foods today I was hoping it was just a fluke...I know with companion parrots poop is the first tell for illness
sad.png
along with feather ruffling and lethargy.

When do all of the feathers grow in for chickens?

Back
Top Bottom