Americauna laying brown eggs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cheekychickers, Mar 20, 2016.

1. cheekychickers

cheekychickers New Egg

Mar 20, 2016
    Has anyone ever heard of an Americauna laying lt brown eggs? Well, I think she is an Americauna.[​IMG]

2. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    Pure Ameraucanas don't lay brown eggs, but most birds sold under that name are actually easter eggers, which is a mixed-breed chicken with Ameraucana ancestry. These birds can lay blue, green or brown eggs due to their mixed heritage.

That being said, while your hen may have some easter egger in her, she definitely has some other breeds mixed in as well, because her comb, lack of beard, and leg color are not typical of what tends to be common for EE's. I think she's likely a barnyard mix.

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Looks like an Easter egger to me, and they can lay any color including brown. Some people and even hatcheries call Easter Eggers Ameraucanas although Ameraucana is a recognized breed with a standard of perfection and can be shown.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

What a pretty color girl [​IMG].

She's an Easter egger, and yes they're "supposed" to lay blue or green, but any color is fair game. Sorry you got a brown egger instead of your expected color, but I think her feather color is pretty enough to offset that.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    she is a beautiful hen.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Agree with the others...pretty hen...likely EE or EE mix (which would be a mix of a mix)...EE's definitely can lay brown eggs if she didn't get the blue egg shell gene.

If you purchased her as an Americana (with the "i" in the middle), then she was definitely a mislabeled Easter Egger as there is no such breed as Americana...that is a misnomer and buzz word for Easter Egger by people who are trying to cash in on Ameraucana heritage, a rare breed that only lays blue shelled eggs (a commodity), but the genetics dilute out with cross breeding. The EE should be a mix between a pure Ameraucana and any other breed to get predominately green or blue egg layers.

Some mistakenly believe that if you breed an EE to another breed you'll still get EE that can lay blue or green eggs; however, it simply dilutes out the genes for blue egg shell and you get mathematically speaking 50% chance for brown or white and 50% for green or blue.

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted. If you want to be assured of getting a blue or green egg layer, purchase a pure Ameraucana from a breeder or get a Cream Crested Legbar. Otherwise, EE's are like a box of chocolates, pretty and enticing on the outside, but you don't know what you'll get. That can be part of the fun if you are aware of the possibilities.

LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by