Americauna laying brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoCal-chick, Aug 16, 2007.

1. SoCal-chick

SoCal-chick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    San Diego
    Is this normal. We have 2 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons and one Americauna. We wanted to have the pastel eggs from the Americauna, but we just started getting 5 eggs a day and they are all brown. Was I wrong when I thought the Americauna's gave blue-violet colored eggs?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you bought your ameicauna from a feed store I bet it is an EE... which is supposted to have the green/blue egg gene... they are mutts really.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

An Easter Egger can lay any color eggs. You'd need to get an Ameraucana breed to be sure to get the blue eggs you want. Very few hatcheries sell a pure Ameraucana. And if the hatchery spelled the word "AmerIcana", you can be guaranteed it's an Easter Egger.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I haveone who lays brown eggs. I named her after my grandmother because she never does what you would think she would either.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, they lay different shades that can vary from blue, green. brown, and everything that varies in between those colors creating alot of different shades.

bigzio

6. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Hey guys,
    Do any of you remember my post in the breeds page:Ameraucana, Araucana or Easter Egger?
    And about the hatchery?
    Well, alright, here's the deal:
    Orscheln's, the place I bought the chicks from,I don't know WHERE they got their chicks from.
    So they had C.M. Hatchery's chicken posters there.
    It only has Araucanas on it.
    That's what we WERE going to get, but the farm store only had Ameraucanas.
    They also said there wasn't to much difference between the two.
    That's what they said.

7. speckledhen

Feedstore personnel are woefully ignorant of alot of what they ought to know, but not everyone knows about chickens, even those who are selling them. I just wish they'd SAY they dont' know rather than give out false information. There is quite a bit of difference in an Araucana and an Ameraucana. Jody here raises those two breeds as well as Easter Eggers and is the expert on all three around these parts. Maybe she'll pop in with some links for you to check out.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  8. SoCal-chick

SoCal-chick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    San Diego
    It sounds like "Americauna" means something different depending on where you buy! We bought the other 4 chicks at one local feed store, but they were unable to get me the Americauna I wanted so I called around and found another feed store that had them. We wanted to raise all our chicks at the same time and like I said specifically wanted the Americauna for the blue-green eggs. I never thought of the possibility that she was not a "true" Americauna. We love her and don't want to raise another. So now we have to break the news to all our "city slicker" friends who were anxiously waiting for the pretty blue-green eggs.

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Does anyone know if MyPetChicken Americaunas are really EE's?

10. speckledhen

Probably, but I really don't know. I do know that one of the pictures on their Ameraucana page is a Buff Brahma, LOL.

This is from mypetchicken's website:

Ameraucana
    The famous "Easter Egger" with eggshells in shades of green & blue. Originally a cross-breed of the South American "Araucana" breed and another breed, today the Ameraucanas sold by the commercial hatcheries are more like a "mix" that don't involved any purebreed Araucanas and don't adhere to breed standards. This breed is also very hardy.

Okay, they seem to be saying two different things in that statement, dont they? They sort of imply they sell the real thing, but they call them Easter Eggers, too, so...who knows?​

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by