Americauna Laying Doubles Every Day! Has anyone heard of this?

TDF888

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 8, 2014

These doubles are actually blue/green but the color didn't show up well. The small brown egg is just for size comparison. Has anyone had a chicken lay doubles one day, two eggs the next day, then doubles for the next 2 days after? Today is the fourth day in a row she has outdone herself. These blue eggs are 3.1 oz., 3.32 oz. and 3.46 oz. each. Each day they get bigger! The day after she laid her first double she laid 2 eggs, one of them was her normal greyish greenish blue and the other was a light gray -- totally different from any other color eggs we get from her or any of our other girls. I just wanted to check in with everyone and see if this is OK. I love my Margie and would hate for anything to happen to her. But this is not what I was taught to expect from laying behavior! The other picture is Marge with my daughter. They are watching TV together in our living room.

These doubles are actually blue/green but the color didn't show up well. The small brown egg is just for size comparison. Has anyone had a chicken lay doubles one day, two eggs the next day, then doubles for the next 2 days after? Today is the fourth day in a row she has outdone herself. These blue eggs are 3.1 oz., 3.32 oz. and 3.46 oz. each. Each day they get bigger! The day after she laid her first double she laid 2 eggs, one of them was her normal greyish greenish blue and the other was a light gray -- totally different from any other color eggs we get from her or any of our other girls. I just wanted to check in with everyone and see if this is OK. I love my Margie and would hate for anything to happen to her. But this is not what I was taught to expect from laying behavior! The other picture is Marge with my daughter. They are watching TV together in our living room.

What a cute little Easter Egger (often misrepresented as Ameraucana by hatcheries/retailers) - is she your only EE? How old is Margie? Glitches in the system can lead to this sort of abnormal pattern now and then, especially with young/new layers or birds coming into a new laying cycle

Thanks Ol Grey Mare. I often wondered about the Americauna vs Easter Egger thing. I have another (Bessie), identical to Marge except instead of white coloring she has golden brown, from the same hatch. Her eggs are brighter blue. What is the difference between an EE and an Americauna? They are July babies, and just started laying maybe a month or two ago.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom